Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to hunt thick thick cover >

how to hunt thick thick cover

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to hunt thick thick cover

Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM

Default how to hunt thick thick cover

i am a relative newb when it comes to hunting. growing up, my dad was handicapped, so he couldn't indoctrinate me into the ways of the woods. recently, i've regained an interest in hunting and am doing as much reading and research as possible to get spun up before the season starts this fall.

right now, one of the places i can hunt is on base here in "wonderful" south eastern louisiana. the available areas are thick THICK cover and i'm wondering what the best strategy would be.

here's a sat pic of a representative area (click for full-size image):

thanks for any tips!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Default RE: how to hunt thick thick cover

Your avatar is big pimpin
Old 01-22-2007, 07:49 PM

tree stand PERIOD.....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: humblehunter

Your avatar is big pimpin
i wear one on each side of the color

ORIGINAL: martin murphy

tree stand PERIOD.....
by regulation, still hunting is all that's authorized, but most people use climbers. i'm planning on scouting around through the spring, but it's all pretty much the same - THICK! some of this stuff is so thick you can barely move ...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have great luck not actually in the thick stuff but on the edges of it where two kinds of terrain come together, say a thick area with honey suckle, brushy, alot of undergroath, where it meets with, say more open woods with bigger more mature trees, look for pinchpoints, or mabey blowdowns that sway deer to travel a certain way. look for places where they might be comming into the thick stuff or leaving it to bed or feed.
Dan
Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Banned

Thick cover is bedding areas for mature bucks. Stay out of there and hunt the edges leading from there to feeding areas.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM

thanks for the tips fellas! i really appreciate it
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would do most of my walking around and scouting now. You get a lot of info for next season right now andwont disturb the deer you are hunting. The woods is open so you should be able to see lots of sign from last year and plan out some spots you might want to hunt this fall. You can even clear shooting lanes if that is allowed. Trails should be easy to spot. Try to find where they start and where the end up such as food sources. Those are a few things you can do right now.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I would do most of my walking around and scouting now. You get a lot of info for next season right now and wont disturb the deer you are hunting. The woods is open so you should be able to see lots of sign from last year and plan out some spots you might want to hunt this fall. You can even clear shooting lanes if that is allowed. Trails should be easy to spot. Try to find where they start and where the end up such as food sources. Those are a few things you can do right now.
i think we have another week or so of hunting time, and then i'll be able to get in there pretty much whenever. but i plan on getting in there pretty good soon.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

bloodcreek is exactly right IMO. When I look at a peice of timber, the first thing I look for is some kind of edge. If its pretty much equally thick through out, you might have to do some pre-season footwork. Look for terrain difference, places where the deer can move about without being detected. Ditches, draws etc are all good places. Sometimes, its so thick a treestand is worse than being on the ground enabling you to see under the canopy. Ground blind hunting is about your only option there. One thing you really have to watch for though is bedding areas. A lot of times, in this type of cover, they bed pretty much anywhere. Especially if they're not being pushed.

Quick Reply: how to hunt thick thick cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.