Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Bowhunting Gator >

Bowhunting Gator

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Bowhunting Gator

Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 AM

Default RE: Bowhunting Gator

Prettycool video,Buster. I never heard a length on the big one, looks to be over eleven feet. Here in Florida only nuisance trappers can set a hook. We also have to hunt them at night. It's a pretty exciting hunt. We just guided a crew from Kentucky and those guys didn't play around. They took three in about four hours, two nines and a twelve six.They fought the big one for close to an hour.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

The big guy was 11'2" with 4-6" of tail missing 365lbs.

Thanks about the vid. clip, it is very rough and I will have a much better full length segment of the whole hunt on my latest DVD.

You guys using the slotted retriever reel?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM

That's right, the slotted retriever with the 4 or 600 lb. spectra line (I like the 600) is the only way to go with archery gear. Either the solid glass or the carbon-aluminum shafts with detatchable muzzy gator points will work. I lean toward the solid glass for two reasons, they are almost indestructible and they're cheap. We've had a gator break one carbon-aluminum this year and another was bent pretty bad. The detatchable heads are a must. Some of our hunters use our harpoons and we will usually also put a harpoon point into a big bow-shot gator if the hunter doesn't mind. With that harpoon line you can really put some pressure on a big lizard and that can be very important in an area with a lot of trees and snags.
In some of our areas the gators are bit up pretty bad too. A lot of missing feet and tails. We took what should have been a twelve-plus that had three feet of his tail and two feet bit off. On others, you can see that the foot was wrung off instead of bit off. When a gator bites, he rolls and something's got to give.
One of our hunters from Finland (Juha Kylma) brought a professional camera-lady and she filmed and edited his hunt to show on a European hunting show. I see that you do the same type of thing.
That is a super buck you've got there. Where do you deer hunt?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks.............I deer hunt in southern Wi............ Bow only
Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 PM

u should probably use between 90 and 120. but the 120 is hard to find because we use it when ever we go down to south louisiana bowfishing for gator