Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Problems Cleaning an Omega >

Problems Cleaning an Omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problems Cleaning an Omega

Old 12-29-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Problems Cleaning an Omega

Just bought an Omega and tried to sight in with 777 Pellets and 245 Powerbelts. I tried to shoot 5 or 6 times before cleaning but when I tried to clean my ramrod gets stuck down by the breech plug and I have to remove the plug and push through instead of pulling back out....very frustrating. Does anyone know why it does this? Am I doing something wrong or is this normal with the Omega's? I spoke with another person who has one and he said his did the same thing. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Problems Cleaning an Omega

Try cleaning after every shot with rubbing alcohol, your rifle will shot better.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Louisiana,
I have an Encore - and have found that when at the range you should really clean every 1-2 shots. You do not need to scrub the daylights out of the thing - just a solvent patch and 2-3 to dry it - you get the best accuracy that way - and is much much easier to load. I have had great luck with 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a 245 grain t/c sabot ( have not tried others though - but these group within 1-2" at 100 yards ). I suspect your gun is like an Encore - with a
pretty tight bore.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

This has nothing to do with your Omega, all ML's will do the exact same thing if you try cleaning them after several rounds pushed through. Like mentioned get in a habit of cleaning after each shot when at the range, it will eliminate the stuck rod, decrease your group size and clean up time following your range session.

However may I suggest prior to hunting season you shot a load then push another down and even a third down without cleaning, so you know what to expect when hunting in regards to accuracy. Obviously when in the field you won't have time to patch clean, so IMO it is better to practice like you are hunting and know excatly what needs to be done if it ever arises.[8D] BTW don't try and clean it, remove the breech hot and take it home to do your thorough clean up...just a hint
Old 12-30-2003, 04:21 AM

I have an Omega. Like was said in a previous post, all muzzleloaders build up a crud ring. At the range, you should use a patch moistened with your saliva, just stick it in your mouth and get it wet. Then place the patch over the muzzle and use your jag to push it down the bore.

Here's the important part; just before your jag hits the area where the crud ring is, start using very short back and forth motions with the ramrod. The idea is to swab free the crud ring little by little, instead of ramming past it and getting the jag stuck in it. This works.

Then after the initial wet swab patch, take two more dry patches and re-swab the bore normally. You should do this after EVERY shot, because in a hunting situation, you'll be shooting your initial round out of a clean bore anyway. And one shot is all that it will take, if your a good shot and have a good zero with the weapon. If you miss, you should've never left the range in the first place, until you had gotten it right.....

Do not aspire to be a slob hunter gentleman....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 12-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have experienced this a few times too. I've scratched the crap out of my ram rod using vice grips to pull it out. Here are a few ideas:

1. As others have said, definately run patches more often, and make sure your first one has solvent on it.

2. Definately use small back and forth motions.

3. Since both ends of the ram rod are threaded, buy any kind of attachment that you can screw in to the rear end of the ram rod. This will give you more of a gripping surface if it gets stuck.

4. Buy a .45 cal brush. This will allow you to scrub the crud first with no chance of geting stuck. A well used .50 cal brush would work too.

5. Wear gloves to get a better grip on the ram rod.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

willtill, I sure hope you never took my suggestion as strive to be a slob hunter. I have yet to require a second shot with my ML's but I have always stuffed a second straight down her just in case. Poor shot results or misses can and do happen, I would much rather know what may happen with my load IF it arises than be ingnorant and say I will never miss my mark. I also practice free hand since that is how I shoot in the field, I believe in adding realism to my practice session, b/c as I am sure your aware hunting doesn't always give you the perfect rest or situation.

I simply think practice should mirror hunting when you have her dialed in and close to an approaching season, I do this with Bow, ML and CF's. It adds confidence and will allow one to adapt if the need arises, to me it is part of the limitations and abilities we each use when in the field
Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 PM

Hi Skeeter 7mm,

I certainly didn't direct that comment
Do not aspire to be a slob hunter gentleman....
towards you personally; nor did I interpet your past post as supporting that statement. My statement was intended for the general audience here. Sort of a way to compel all of us to make the best shot possible, with the best preparatory methods at hand.

I too will load a second round in my Omega if warranted....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 12-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

[8D]