Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning TC Omega

Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default cleaning TC Omega

I have purchased this gun a bit ago and understand about taking it apart nad cleaning the barrell and breach plug and so on. It it necassasary to take apart the trigget mechanism to clean it, the manual did not really mention anything about it that I could find.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Default RE: cleaning TC Omega

I just take the barrel and action out of the stock, then clean any fouled areas on the breech block. I don't worry much about the very simple trigger design--maybe use some q-tips to wipe it off and some dust remover (canned air) to blow any small plant material etc. that got in there.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I have purchased this gun a bit ago and understand about taking it apart nad cleaning the barrell and breach plug and so on. It it necassasary to take apart the trigget mechanism to clean it, the manual did not really mention anything about it that I could find.

Thanks
You know that is an excellent question because I had to send my Omega back to the factory because the hammer would not hold back. The problem, blow back from around the primer corroded the sping in the hammer/trigger assembly. I called the tech that worked on my gun andasked him what went wrong, that is what he told me. Now that said, I would say that area should be cleaned. I am not sure how to take it apart and clean it. Chap Gleason
Old 07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a couple pins that can be removed to remove the hammer/trigger assembly. When I had an Omega I usually just took a paper towell and placed it so crud from the breech couldn't get into the trigger when cleaning. About every couple of months (depending on how much shooting I was doing) I would spray the whole mechanism (with stock removed) with WD-40 and then blow it out with compressed air. Every 6 months to a year I would remove the pins and give it a good bath in boiling water.
Not sure what you call the pins, but they have a groove milled in them and a set-screw locks them in place. To remove, back the set-screw out a few turns and they should drop right out.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Lyman Mustang that would require a major dissassambly to get the trigger mechanizm out. My regular cleaning routine it totake thebuttstock off and give the receiver a good blast of carburator cleaner throughthe trigger area andthe firing pin hole - followed bya blast of Rem oil. Keeps it clean as a whistle.