Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Cleaning Between Shots >

Omega Cleaning Between Shots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Cleaning Between Shots

Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Omega Cleaning Between Shots

This may apply to various ML's. Just trying to get sequence ideas since consistencyisimportant when cleaning between shots and sighting in, i.e,1 damp patch = 1-2 strokes in the barrel, turn patch over then 1-2 strokes, then 1 dry patch 1-2 strokes, etc?? ALSO, someone mentioned that since the Omega issoeasy to clean, they recomended taking the breach plug out when cleaning between shots, wiping the breach plug off with TC cleaner, andthen do the above sequence. Any ideas??
Old 08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Omega Cleaning Between Shots

When I swab the barrel I take my wet patch and work it in short strokes (never one solid long stroke the the breech) starting at the muzzle and making the strokes longer as I got, down to the breech. This will help insure that you do not get a stuck cleaning patch in the barrel. I pull that out, flip it over and work the other side, again in short strokes from the muzzle to the breech. Then I do the same thing with two dry patches that will later be my next wet patches (unless they are filthy).

As for pulling the Breech Plug between shots or during cleaning. I can see no reason why you would do that. Put the breech plug in at the beginning of the shooting session. Check it from time to time during the shooting session making sure it will turn back and fourth. This means it is not locking up. And then after the shooting session pull the breech plug when you clean your rifle. I would think that is all that would be needed. If I had a rifle I had to pull the breech plug out, just to swab the barrel, I would not be owning that rifle for long.....
Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 AM

I pull the plug out of my remington for almost every shot. I don't really have too, I just do it. I want every shot to be exactly like the one before. I don't pull the nipple. Mine seems to have a problem with follow up shots though. Mine never miss fires on a first shot with a clean barrel and plug. However every now and then when I just load another bullet in without pulling the plug and cleaning it I get a missfire. It normally goes off with the next cap, but it is anoying.

Switching to a 209 might solve that problem though.

I might switch back to Pioner/cleanshot as well. I noticed the 777 was sort of sticky when it is hot and humid out. I never noticed that with clean shot. Just little white flakes that came right out.

My method is time consuming, however I figure it gives the barrel extra time to cool between shots.

Paul
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 AM
bigcountry

Hog, they had some fantastic sales at Bass Pro's on omegas for like 299 or something for synthectic blued and little more for stainless. I am not sure if you got one yet.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hogwild61

since the Omega issoeasy to clean, they recomended taking the breach plug out when cleaning between shots, wiping the breach plug off with TC cleaner, andthen do the above sequence. Any ideas??
I love my Omega but as far as being easy to clean I don't find it that much easier than any other inline other than a bolt that has to be taken apart in the process. I have a Traditions Pursuit which is just as easy. My T/C Hawken is easier but that is because it does not have a scope on it. The Omega with the scope makes it harder to clean without messing up the scope. Type of powder used seems to be a bigger thing than the actual design of the rifle. Taking the breechplug out each shot seems a bit overkill to me. Personally taking the plug out cleaning and re-antiseize etc. makes no sense to me. I would get about two shots per hour at that rate especially at the range when you have to deal with stopping all the time for people to check targets ets.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM

I shoot in my back yard, so I wait for no one. I don't put anti sieze on it every time either. There is no need if you are just pulling it out again. I just put it in hand tight. When I clean the gun at the end of the day I put a new coating of anti sieze back on it.

I find most that have trouble with breech plugs getting stuck it is from putting them in too tight to begin with, or shooting too many shots with out breaking it loose like Cayugad does. I normally walk down to the target (100 yards) to look at the shot, then walk back pull the plug, clean the barrel and plug and reassemble it. Then I shoot off one cap before I load and fire it. I can shoot about 3 shots in 20 minutes or so. Normally this is for sighting in or working up a new load though.

I do shoot it sometimes without cleaning or anything between shots just to see where they will impact. Incase I have to take a follow up shot in the field.

I'm just anal I guess. I even compeletely clean a rifle before switching to another type ammo.

Paul
Old 08-24-2005, 11:27 AM

I have found no need to take the breech plug out except for a thorough cleaning at the end of day. Use Gorilla Grease in conjunction with the T/C pink teflon tape. Plug comes out almost as easy as it went in - even after an extended shooting session.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:28 AM

Paul Mohr,

I understand the anal thing 100%, On my .50 Cal SS Rem which Ive had since they first came out, I never pulled the breech plug while sighting in. However, I was "anal" about cleaning between shots and duplicating the effort to-a-t. Ieither go hunting with the gun completey clean and pop a few caps in it first, or shoot it one time, then go hunting. Either way, I want it to shoot the same on the 1st shot whether it be at the range or at the deer.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Keep in mind, I use a heavy brass range rod for loading at the range and in the field (collapsable rod for the field). I use the feeble factory rod for a backup to the heavy duty range rod.

Sabot shooting:
From a bone dry clean bore with a lubed breech plug installed. I lightly natural lube a patch and run in the bore down and up (This is to control any potential for flash rust). Then a clean patch down and up.

Then load powder and sabot'ed projectile.

Shoot.

Then spit patch down and up, flip patch and do again.

Then 50/50% 99%/isopropyl alcohol & windshield washer fluid(Thanks Cayugad , I was using only alcohol for yearswith great results but mixed with the washer fluid does seem to clean the primer fouling a littlebetter)patch down and up, flip and do again.

Then a dry patch down and up, flip and do again.

Then load powder & sabot, and fire when ready.

Repeat the same procedure for every shot withevery ML I have when shooting sabot'ed projectiles.

Best and most consistant accuracy and performance. Loading is the easiest as well when cleaning in-between each shot as I have described.

In the event that a quick followup is required (although I have yet to need one), I carry a speedloader with a worked up load, wad and conical which will load easily and quickly.

Never (ever) have I pulled a breech plug or nipple to clean after every shot. You may need to "pick" the flute in the breech plug depending on how fouling a powder you shoot. After 7-10 shots, I will "loosen" and then re"snug" the breech plug to prevent seizure.

My .0002
Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 PM

I don't want people to think I am saying you have to pull it every time, I just do it for the heck of it. It wastes more time and in my opinion gives the barrel more time to cool between shots. I'm in no hurry when shooting my ML usually.

And with my rifle you HAVE to fire a cap after running a patch down the barrel, espcially if the plug was left in. Must be a crappy design on Remingtons part or something. If I don't fire a cap first to blow everything out of the breech and nipple it will not fire, sometimes resulting in having to pull the breech any way and dumping the charge out the back. My remington is pretty accurate, but not the most user friendly ML I have seen.

I would prefere to just pull the plug and clean it from the back with the bore guide any way. It is somewhat if a pain in the butt compared to just going from the front though. However I like the results and don't mind so much most of the time. It is by no means anything you have to do, non of my friends do it. They don't even run a patch down thiers until the bullet won't go down.

I've always been a little odd

Paul

Quick Reply: Omega Cleaning Between Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.