Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

omega cleaning

Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 AM

Default omega cleaning

any one have a simple step to cleaning the breach plug in the omega. Thats the only part of the gun i have a hard time cleaning. I use loose 777 and it makes a crud ring from hell but its easy to come out,but the breach plug has to soak in solvent before i can get it clean ,then i work it with patches and tooth picksuntill it comes clean, sunday i shot it about 12 times ,cleaning it with a plastic brush wraped with cotton patches and water,barrel comes clean but the inside of the breach plug is a hard thing to get clean.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: omega cleaning

Automotive Brake Kleen spray with the long, red nozzle attachment gets the inside clean enough using needle-nose/regular pliars to hold it. Keep it at an outreach & use short thrusts of spraycuz' it comes outhard & fast... thusoverspray may get on you/clothes. Q-tips & pipe cleanersdipped in solventwork the 209 primer hole & a sewing needle will keep the tiny hole at the breechplug face clear.

For the outside, I usefull strength Simple Green spray with a toothbrush -- thenpick upthe plug with needle-noze pliars again & hokl the plug under steamy-hot faucet water for a minute rinse.

I always do the outside first because steamy, hot water will loosen the fouling inside the plug & the Brake Kleen spray afterwardsself-dries itself faster than water.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

deleted
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 AM

I clean my breech plug by first wiping it manually on the outside with a patch soaked in #13. Then I use a bore brush to scrub all the threads. Then I take the wet patch, shove it into the concave end and turn it with a small flathead screwdriver until the inside is shiny clean. I then pour some #13 into the plug and let it dribble out the other end. I clean the primer end the same way, with a small flathead screwdriver turning a wet patch. If a visual inspection reveals any obstruction in the hole, I pick at it with a sewing needle and drip more #13 through it.

That's for field cleaning. At home I just soak the entire thing in #13 for a while and then rinse off with hot water.