Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile......
Old 07-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need excuses to use Powerbelts Pete. Just like I will continue to stuff 250 gr Deep Curls down my bore, despite what others say here.

I may buy one other bullet before hunting season. I keep waiting for the Speer Bonded Unicor SPs in 260 gr to be restocked. Every store is OOS right now. Got backups with my 200 SSTs, 260/180 Precisions and 300 XTP

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-31-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Jon and I both were promoting the Thor before the Aerolite came out.

Jon used 110gr of BH for that hunt. He has a bunch of pictures of the Aerolite working. Do you want to see them? Why is everybody ignoring the review I posted above of the cow elk?

Why am I going to use the bullet besides to prove a point?

They're legal for all seasons in my state.

You said several times you dont hunt the ML season because its too hot so all seasons is not relevant.

They load perfect in my gun.

Sounds like the PTs loaded fine too if they were shooting good like you said in the for sale ad.

I get holes touching at 100yds. ( my self appointed max hunting range)

So you can get two holes touching off hand or was your range trip on the bench? Did the PT holes touch too?

I can buy them locally. (I can't say that about any other bullet)

Cant see that as a problem or relevant since you buy from Carlos too. I imagine that is how you got the PTs correct? You bought the gun there too or did you get it local.

I have faith they'll work fine. ( backed by hunters I know locally who use them)

I dont and neither do most people that know about better bullets for less money.

Why not use them? ( I have enough proof they work)

So will a 22-250 but its hardly a good choice.

260gr PT Gold shoot to the same POI, so I can use those to practice with.

Why not shoot use them on game too. They have far far less negative reviews and they cost much less. Considering your income situation its a no brainier.

Enough reasons?

Only for someone that is trying to justify a poor choice in bullets.
Its a shame you just like to argue just for the sake of arguing. All of this debate probably wont even matter since there is a high probability it isnt going to happen anyway. Im sure something will change between now and the hunting season.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chaded
That's alright, Muley will be carrying a .44 magnum just in case he wounds an animal with the powerbelt. Unbelievable to use an animal as a test dummy for a bullet you think has a good chance of wounding.
A better question if things go wrong is:

How fast can you draw the 44mag from its holster to finish off a wounded animal as its bouncing through the woods? There will not be any comfy tree stand with a better line of sight. Muley has said many times he is a still hunter.

Somehow i doubt it will be fast enough to even get off a shot without a lengthy tracking job.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seems more like you want to argue, because you don't like my choice.

I have an answer for all your quotes, but is it really important?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chaded
That's alright, Muley will be carrying a .44 magnum just in case he wounds an animal with the powerbelt. Unbelievable to use an animal as a test dummy for a bullet you think has a good chance of wounding.
So, everybody who uses a PB is using the animal as a test dummy? You never change.

I have 100% confidence the bullet will work, or I wouldn't use it. I don't expect to need the handgun, and that's not why I carry it. What backup do you carry if you wound an animal? Oh sorry. That could never happen to you.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seems more like you want to argue, because you don't like my choice.

I have an answer for all your quotes, but is it really important?

"Like" has nothing to do with it. Its simply a poor choice, just like a 250gr bullet for a 50cal centerfire would be a poor choice. Thats probably why you cant hardly find them. The math is simple, sectional density for the application and metal being used is extremely poor. At least a Thor wont pancake and we know beyond a shadow of a doubt the PB can.

No it doesn't matter because the chances are, you will sell the rifle long before the season or change your mind and we will never hear about it again.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

So a PRB is a poor choice too. It pancakes just like a PB if pushed too hard.

You're down to personal insults, because you didn't get your way? I thought you were above that?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

So, everybody who uses a PB is using the animal as a test dummy? You never change.

I have 100% confidence the bullet will work, or I wouldn't use it. I don't expect to need the handgun, and that's not why I carry it. What backup do you carry if you wound an animal? Oh sorry. That could never happen to you.
You said;

"Lets see if their claim is true. I have the .44 mag handgun as backup if I just wound it."

Doesn't sound like 100% confidence to me. This was certainly in the context of whether or not the bullet performed (hence this whole thread and conversation). It's not about whether the bullet has worked for some that have used it but more so that you have made comments about testing the bullet on a deer and that it is okay if you wound it because you will have a handgun for backup (which I find its use highly unlikely in this scenario). I have more respect (not much but some) for the hunter using a powerbelt that doesn't know any better than a person that is attempting to justify his decision of a poor bullet choice that he does not have 100% confidence in (obviously).
Old 07-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, maybe the comment on using the .44 as backup isn't what I meant, or call it a bad choice. I never carry a handgun while hunting. This would be the first year, and even that isn't 100% unless I plan to hunt with the handgun, and the muzzy for the same hunt.

I've never needed a backup in the past even when I was using a 30-30 for elk. I was told over and over I needed more gun, but I never did. I would never use a bullet that I thought wouldn't work. I care way more for the animal than you think. It's why i've always been picky about the shots I take. I've said that many many times, and you should know that since you seem to like to pick apart everything I say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.