Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

As with the other bullets tested, the bullet was shot through carpet, plywood, and into a stack of water jugs backed up by a phone book. The load was 80g Blackhorn, and the distance to the face of the carpet was 25 yard.

The following photo is a frame from the video about 1/2 second after impact. The first jug is in flight. One can see the last three jugs are still full of water. The last three jugs were undamaged.

The plywood was blown in half. This is the only bullet to destroy the plywood, the other bullets just made holes, and left the plywood intact.

The first jug was destroyed, and tossed 15-20 feet away. The second jug held the bullet, and except for the entry hole is quite intact, except the lid was blown about 40' towards the rifle.

The bullet now weighs 172 grain.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

very interesting test. Especially the breaking of the plywood. That was a surprise. It looks like you got good expansion but you lost a lot of bullet weight. Still I think for deer size, that might have been a good bullet. But only two jugs ... that kind of bothers me.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

My first thought is that a large buck shoulder shot with that bullet would suffer a nasty surface wound, and likely run off and die a few days later. Mid-chest shot would likely do the job. But there are so many better bullets. So why?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im not sure if i should laugh or cry. Its sad to think people use these to shoot game.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
But there are so many better bullets. So why?
Exactly, I cant believe people pay money for those
Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's like shooting a round ball. Stay away from bone. I'm sure it broke the plywood, because it expanded so fast.

To be a bit fair to Powerbelt. They do say the hollow points are meant to expand fast, and stay in the animal. The tipped version is suppose to penetrate better with the Platinum having the smallest hollow point cavity.

Could be hype, but that's their story.

Thanks for testing it Ron. Where do you get all those bottles?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The tipped version is suppose to penetrate better with the Platinum having the smallest hollow point cavity.

Thanks for testing it Ron. Where do you get all those bottles?
Oh-Oh, I see another video coming. GRIN I was going to ask Ron the same thing as to where he gets all of his bottles from. LOL
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

He must drink a lot of water.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That brand of water can be found in $ stores.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't drink the water in the bottles; what would the bullets drink? Lady brings them bottles home from the Grocery store. They cost her money. She has been OK with the expense because they have been on sale. Funny how it is OK to buy them bottles for me because they are on sale. Once they go off sale, she won't be so agreeable, if i know her, like i think i know her. When that day comes, i guess i will be reaching into my own pockets, or retire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.