Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 250g XTP doesn't look bad. The 250g Barnes TEZ doesn't look bad. The 300g XTP didn't look bad. Neither Lehigh looked bad. The Controlled fracturing bullet did not lose it's petals in the carpet or plywood, they broke off in the first water jug. They also broke off in the first water jug when there was no carpet or plywood in front. Others didn't look bad.

The carpet, plywood, water, perfectly simulated what Jon' photo showed on a real deer, did it not? The bullet looks bad on deer, and it looks bad on carpet, plywood, and water.

One thing that occurred to me after shooting several different bullets, is that we sure have a lot of good bullets available to us.

Tom's idea to use something in front of the water was wonderful, and i will not stop doing so.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're basing a bullets performance by just Jon's deer? What about the one I just posted on an elk? Why not use that as the example?

Jon's brother shot a deer with the Aerolite, and it destroyed the deer, and I believe blew right through it. So did hawgslayers.

Oh well. Not important. I'll find out for myself this year.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Seems like he posted some photo of a deer they had killed with a powerbelt. It blew up on the entry is what i saw. Seeing that was all it took for me to know i would never use them.

I believe. Scott is sending some Platinum for me to shoot. After they are shot, you will probably never see me shoot them again, ever.
Oh yes you mean this one

Here is his quote on WHC

The powerbelt is a pure lead "soft" conical with a massive hollow point that prevents it from penetrating, and 99% of the time, fragment its hundreds of little pieces.
This is what i found when i did an in the field test with the 250gr Aerolite. Accurate as hell, but at $30 a package, this kind of fragmentation should not be happening. But again, soft lead with a HUGE hollow point, what did the engineer expect was going to happen?
Looks like the 250gr Aerolite fragged and flattened badly on impact to me.

The bullet left a 3" entrance hole, took out the lungs, and a sliver of bullet made it into the opposite side, the first pic i showed above, is actually a piece i found on the stomach just as the pic shows.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe. Scott is sending some Platinum for me to shoot
Yes i will get some in the mail the beginning of next week. I hope you get a chance to try the Parker 275gr BE also. Its the bullet i use even though it can be a little fragile at times also.

The 300gr PB Plat im sending is the 45cal and will have a much better sectional density than a similar weight 50cal. Im guessing it might even perform ok with a 80gr load of BH209.

IIRC the only time i tried testing it was with either 100 or 110gr and it started to come apart pretty badly.

They shot extremely well though in a 1-28 and a 1-30 twist 45.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I said. Jon pushed it too fast. Powerbelt says the bullet is made for those who don't want to shoot magnum loads. They call anything over 100gr as a magnum load.

The Platinum is the bullet for heavier loads.

Anyway you look at it. The deer was dead fast. That's all I ask a bullet to do.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The 250g XTP doesn't look bad. The 250g Barnes TEZ doesn't look bad. The 300g XTP didn't look bad. Neither Lehigh looked bad. The Controlled fracturing bullet did not lose it's petals in the carpet or plywood, they broke off in the first water jug. They also broke off in the first water jug when there was no carpet or plywood in front.
Ron,
You could shoot the Lehigh CF or Bloodlines threw cement blocks and those petals wont come off until it hits a liquid. They are made that way by design. Ive been using these bullets for atleast 5 years and nothing really even compares to them on game. The one thing that's hardest for me to explain is the energy and shock that's created by those petals. That's just extra terminal performance that cant be tracked by a computer.

The XP bullets have really not excited me until after your tests. Lehigh told me they are better then a conventional mushrooming bullet. But not as good as the CF bullet. I like trying different things and im really thinking about using the XP bullets on Deer this year. Your test results showed the XP doing as much damage and more then the other mushrooming bullets plus a lot of penetration. If I do use them, it will be the 200grn XP in the 45.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
As I said. Jon pushed it too fast. Powerbelt says the bullet is made for those who don't want to shoot magnum loads. They call anything over 100gr as a magnum load.

The Platinum is the bullet for heavier loads.

Anyway you look at it. The deer was dead fast. That's all I ask a bullet to do.
2 things.........

1) why would you want to shoot a bullet that you needed a chronograph to determine what charge to use?

2) why did Jon start promoting Thor?

NOTE: I JUST FINISHED LOADING MS-10.

Here's another poor example of a bullet, shot using 2f, that completely passed through a deer and into the side of a picked corn field. Had I not been confident with the shot, I'd have thought I completely missed the deer. It ran across a snow covered field, NEVER leaving a single drop of blood, then fell in a pile. Had I not seen it fall, tracking may have indicated a total miss.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe he said he used a 100gr load and impact occurred at 80 yards.

Actually i ask a bullet to expand prpoperly, make two holes and if not atleast retain a good percentage of it weigh without turning into a pancake. It doesn't matter if its a PB or a GoldDot to me. A 100gr load is very typical. If a cheap 50cent PT Gold holds up better, why would you even consider the Aerolite to be worth your time. You are not even hunting the ML season...correct?...Sabots are legal during the rest of the deer season.... correct?

Poor penetration is poor penetration. If that bullet would have hit a tiny bit further forward, he would have more than likely had a nasty tracking job of a suffering animal.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-31-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: 80 yards not 61
Old 07-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I believe he said he used a 100gr load and impact occurred at 61 yards.

Actually i ask a bullet to expand prpoperly, make two holes and if not atleast retain a good percentage of it weigh without turning into a pancake. It doesn't matter if its a PB or a GoldDot to me. A 100gr load is very typical. If a cheap 50cent PT Gold holds up better, why would you even consider the Aerolite to be worth your time. You are not even hunting the ML season...correct?...Sabots are legal during the rest of the deer season.... correct?

Poor penetration is poor penetration. If that bullet would have hit a tiny bit further forward, he would have more than likely had a nasty tracking job of a suffering animal.

That's alright, Muley will be carrying a .44 magnum just in case he wounds an animal with the powerbelt. Unbelievable to use an animal as a test dummy for a bullet you think has a good chance of wounding.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jon and I both were promoting the Thor before the Aerolite came out.

Jon used 110gr of BH for that hunt. He has a bunch of pictures of the Aerolite working. Do you want to see them? Why is everybody ignoring the review I posted above of the cow elk?

Why am I going to use the bullet besides to prove a point?

They're legal for all seasons in my state.

They load perfect in my gun.

I get holes touching at 100yds. ( my self appointed max hunting range)

I can buy them locally. (I can't say that about any other bullet)

I have faith they'll work fine. ( backed by hunters I know locally who use them)

Why not use them? ( I have enough proof they work)

260gr PT Gold shoot to the same POI, so I can use those to practice with.

Enough reasons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.