Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 08-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
My thought is that some in the so called "5%" have killed more deer than many in the "95%", heck some probably have taken more in one season than others have in their whole hunting career. What they say carries more weight, to me. They are speaking from real world experiences, good and bad.... not just internet message board chest pounding supported by google.
I doubt it, but if it makes you feel better to think that. Go ahead.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
My thought is that some in the so called "5%" have killed more deer than many in the "95%", heck some probably have taken more in one season than others have in their whole hunting career. What they say carries more weight, to me. They are speaking from real world experiences, good and bad.... not just internet message board chest pounding supported by google.
LOL I didn't want to put it that way for fear of getting e-jumped

I've just gotten back into ML'ing the past few years so I am out of the loop on some of the newer greatest, bestest, newfangled technobabble out there nowadays. But over many many years of hunting with everything from a sharp stick (yes I have lance hunted hog and deer) to some of the most advanced rifles in the industry I kind of have a pretty good perspective on big game and what's needed to put meat in the freezer. But that sure doesn't mean I know all. What it DOES mean is that I have more than likely done it, seen it, or heard about it from reliable sources. If I haven't I want to learn it! Even at my advanced years I still love to learn!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Please do not refer to the 95% Club as Stupid (not knowing better). The Kings of Stupidity are the ones paying 1.60 per ML bullet (or over 75 cents) for harvest-distances under 100 yards.

Your definition of better is only better 5% of the time. I'll stick to 180/260 Precisions, 300 gr. XTPs, 200 gr. SSTs and 250 Deep Curls, none of which requires magnum powder loads and that combo still allows me breathing room for an extra 50 yards (150).
Wow, you sure are sensitive. Playing the victim is right out of the liberal handbook when any debate is not going well for them.

Let me help you

Not knowing is ignorant
Ignorant is not stupid its simply not knowing.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

This is common place in this industry thanks to the salesmen and saleswomen at places like Bass Pro shops and Cabelas. CVA and other companies use reps to inform (or misinform) the staff to push their products. When someplace like Cabelas has massive contracts with these companies, they tend to listen and employees push the most abundant stock on the shelves with a high markup. In this case its Powerbelts.

I have seen this first hand EVERY time ive been in Cabelas and Bass Pro. Each time i walk over to the bulk bullets and grab a pack of sabots. I leave with more than twice the number of bullets for usually less money.

The sales staff is stunned and look like a deer staring into the head lights when i ignore their sales pitch.

BTW i pay less than 50cent a piece for SSTs. I know where to buy them for even less. I paid less for my Parkers BEs than you paid for you PR QTs and we both probably got them on sale. Its been quite some time since ive paid a buck a bullet but then again, im informed about where to get them.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Triple se7en,
I think you just like to argue as well. But I would like to see the post or thread someone bashed the Barnes Expanders. I have had and seen nothing but good results with that bullet and I want to see the complaints myself.
I never complained about the Expander MZ either. I used the 275gr 50cal for years. It flew like a brick and hit like a brick. I prefer the 250gr 458 TSXFN over the 250gr ML version simply do to accuracy in previous rifles.

My current 50cal prefers a .450-.452 because the bore is tighter and sabot selection is better. As far as i can tell both bullets perform the same....Flawless.

Currently i prefer the .451 225gr XPB for deer in that rifle. They are cheaper than the 250gr Expander MZ and recoil is less. Performance has also been flawless.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
GM
That duplex bullet video you posted is not of a (high) spine shot.
I happen to be slightly proficient with video recoding and capturing frames of videos. Sadly this PC does not have my best software installed but it will do for now. I also captured the raw video from PR and i can post it on Youtube if it helps.

This is the impact

This is right after impact and penetration.

Notice the hump on his back and it vanishing a split second later? Notice the bullet splash?

The bullet hit very high. Its more evident in the video and with a higher resolution still shot.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-03-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

After viewing it a few times in full screen, you are right.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-03-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 AM
Banned

110gr BH209 and the 250 Aerolite did a heck of a job on a buck back in 2011 with a high shoulder shot. I was about to put it in the lungs when I changed my mind and decided to do the high shoulder as see if it would bounce off. It did not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
deer2.jpg (20.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 08-04-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was it shot from your tree stand J? Is that two holes there?

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-04-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Banned

nope, new mexico in 2011 when i drew a tag. I purposely used the high 110gr bh209 charge and shoulder shot for testing. I think the aerolite had only been out for a year. Do a search for powerbelt aerolite bullets on youtube. You can see my Part 2 video where i track it and recover it. Sadly my brother was on a doe at the time of the shot.

there will be 3 of us in new mexico again this year. Im using patched ball but the other 2 are usign the 260 PT golds.