Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 07-31-2015, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This video file is as small as i know how to make it. Posting on utube is something i don't know how to do. Spending more time at the computer editing, isn't something i would enjoy. Doing the actual shooting, is a way more fun.

None of the photo, or video are copy right protected. You or anyone else do not need my permission to use them. However, you do have my permission; you don't need it, but you have my blessings to use whatever you wish.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can shrink many files down using NERO to a fraction of the original size. Certain types of editing though are best done in another format besides MP4.

Youtube uploads are converted by Youtube on their end to reduce size also.

I just noticed the last video link you posted is only a meg (roughly) Shrinking them further would be pointless. Ive uploaded huge files to Youtube. There are even complete 1hr long+ videos on Youtube.

There are even 1080p quality videos and the ability to watch them in lower quality if needed.

Such as this one

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-31-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
In general, that means there's also a lot more deer lost to poor bullets than we think too. One only has to Google 'problems with powerbelt bullets' and you'll have all the reading you can stand. There isn't any other modern bullet that has so much bad press and from all areas of the country.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider that fair, by any means, to the hunter and definitely not fair to the game being hunted. This is what is completely disgusting to me about some of the western states, almost requiring these bullets be used. Thank goodness bullets like Thor can (should) be used.

Ron's testing, although some may not completely agree with how its done, is a good example of what should be shown to some of the wildlife managers (DNR-FG-WLD, etc.) in those western states which won't allow saboted bullets.

Ron, you should put together a single video of your bullet tests, using the 80grs of BH.

I agree somewhat, but it also means more success too. PB still claims it's the number 1 selling bullet. That's a lot of bullets.

A lot of the failures are the wrong load. Hunters are brainwashed into think that 150gr of powder is needed, because the gun is rated for it. A lighter PB like the 223/245gr with 150gr of powder shot close from a tree stand is going to give poor results. Hunters who don't come to forums don't know any better. Even the ones who do still shoot loads that are wrong.

I'm not claiming the PB is a quality bullet. I've never had the guts to try one hunting, but I go on a lot of hunts with friends to help out. Everybody in this area uses a PB. I've never witnessed a failure. I've never talked to a hunter who has had a failure. The gun shops are unaware that PB's fail, and it's all they sell. Jon has shot a lot of game with PB's, and his brother and dad have too. No failures.

Something is wrong when so many have success, and others fail. So, many have claimed a PRB fail, and have found three round balls in their elk after killing it with a CF gun. Yet, others have great success with a PRB. I shot an elk with a .54 PRB, so I know who I believe.

I'm very tempted to use a PB this year for my muley buck hunt. I'll use the weakest, easily expanding 250gr Aerolite with 90gr of BH. I don't expect it to be a pass through, it's not designed to do that, but I do expect a kill.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the 338 Platinums Pete. Good for deer and elk.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

That wouldn't prove anything. That bullet always works. The aerolite is suppose to be kept to 1800fps, and is their latest bullet. It's also made for deer size game.

Lets see if their claim is true. I have the .44 mag handgun as backup if I just wound it. I'm careful to always make a double lung shot, and i'm using a scope, so I have no excuses for a bad shot.

I've already tested it at the range, and in my gun it's more accurate then the Barnes T-EZ, and the few Bloodlines I tried.

I wouldn't use it on elk, but unless I buy an OTC tag I won't be hunting for elk this year. That's still undecided as of now. So far it's just deer and bear.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
.......... Jon has shot a lot of game with PB's, and his brother and dad have too. No failures.....
Seems like he posted some photo of a deer they had killed with a powerbelt. It blew up on the entry is what i saw. Seeing that was all it took for me to know i would never use them.

I believe. Scott is sending some Platinum for me to shoot. After they are shot, you will probably never see me shoot them again, ever.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Seems like he posted some photo of a deer they had killed with a powerbelt. It blew up on the entry is what i saw. Seeing that was all it took for me to know i would never use them.

I believe. Scott is sending some Platinum for me to shoot. After they are shot, you will probably never see me shoot them again, ever.
Yes, but the deer was dead on the ground. I believe it only went 10yds after being hit. It that a failure?

He used 110gr of BH for that kill. It could be why it expanded so fast. I might even drop down to 80gr. I'll have to look up the ballistics.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron..........I know you're trying to simulate a hide with the plywood and carpet, but I think it's a bit much for expanding bullets. Especially, for deer.

Your test would be good for rhino hunting.

How about just water bottles to let the bullet penetrate some before expanding?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ron..........I know you're trying to simulate a hide with the plywood and carpet, but I think it's a bit much for expanding bullets. Especially, for deer.
I think his test is weak actually. The ideal thing would be to simulate hide and bone. And he should of stayed at 50grns by volume on the powder. Most people use between 90 and 110grns by volume. Those muzzle velocities aren't that high and when you look at them at 100 yards they would be right around the 50grns by volume tests he was doing.

Last edited by Grouse45; 07-31-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I never had problems with the 338gr platinum pb's on elk. I shoot 100grs of 777. The last cow I killed was a med size. The bullet made a complete pass through at 50 yrds. I shot it right behind the shoulder standing broadside. I did discover that if I shoot less than 80gr or more than 100gr the accuracy of those bullets suck. I zero at 75 yds and shooting 110grs of powder makes the group go from around a inch to almost 3. I quit with 120grs just because I barely could keep them on a pie plate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.