Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Can't drink the water in the bottles; what would the bullets drink? Lady brings them bottles home from the Grocery store. They cost her money. She has been OK with the expense because they have been on sale. Funny how it is OK to buy them bottles for me because they are on sale. Once they go off sale, she won't be so agreeable, if i know her, like i think i know her. When that day comes, i guess i will be reaching into my own pockets, or retire.
HA!!!! Glad to see I'm not the ONLY one with a wife that put's the foot down when it comes to the money! Granted mine tends to aim the foot for the throat but I'm a big feller Her favorite saying is, "You might be five times my size but you gotta sleep sometime"
Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
My first thought is that a large buck shoulder shot with that bullet would suffer a nasty surface wound, and likely run off and die a few days later. Mid-chest shot would likely do the job. But there are so many better bullets. So why?
Exactly what I saw happen twice with the things, well not the deer going off and dying, I helped him track them and shot them with a REAL bullet

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Im not sure if i should laugh or cry. Its sad to think people use these to shoot game.
They just saw the hype from PB not the real reports I would imagine, or at least hope.

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Exactly, I cant believe people pay money for those
Funny how sheeple are so easily led aint it?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing for sure after these tests and my own experiences. You have premium bullets and regular bullets. Looks like some so called premium bullets should just be regular bullets and some regular bullets could be considered premium bullets. But like most things it's not the way it should be.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas,

It's kinda funny I never thought about using them but... we buy our drinking water in 4 gal jugs from a local spring water company and we have one of those water coolers to use them on. Now, there's nothing wrong with my well water and I grew up drinking it but my Mrs. won't drink it because it has naturally occurring "natural gas" in it (there's a lot of that here in northern PA) along with a few other minerals but no sulpher. We've had it tested and there's nothing wrong with it, she just won't drink it.
That said, we buy these 4 gal jugs of water and then we refill them ourselves from an artesian well on a friends property that is some of the finest water you've ever tasted, and yes there is such a thing as great tasting water! Every once in a while the top plug gets worn out on one and we can't reuse the bottle so she puts it in the recycleables and replaces it with a new one.

So now I'm thinking... what would a few 4 gal jugs lined up do for bullet testing vs 1 gal jugs?... Maybe I'll save the next 3 or 4 for test subjects.

BPS
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well this is an accurate test, it is just what happened many years a go when I shot a big doe on the back edge of the front shoulder and no it did not hit any big bones, it did blow the shoulder muscle to rags and after tracking the deer for 3/4 to a mile I got an other shot did the same thing to the other side and the deer could not get up[it went down when I shot it the second time]; I had to shot it again as it lay there bawling.
I believe they should be banned.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet most that who use them do so because they are sold in most stores. In my local Gander, there are very few other options than PB's. At my Walmart iirc they were the only bullets on the shelf this past season. Its unfortunate, but I bet many find out the hard way that they aren't very good.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unlike the Fed bullet that we have no choice but to use the one bullet. We have many choices with the Powerbelt.

Ron's tests are torture tests, and will show any weakness a bullet has. The PBs in the 250gr range have never been good performers. Especially, the HP's that were made to expand fast.

I'd love to see the Platinum 338gr tested, or the Copper tipped 348gr/405gr. Those are used quite a bit around here for elk, and perform well for those using them.

The plywood Ron uses gets the bullets expanding faster than they would on game. We can't expect them to have good penetration.

Just trying to be fair. I know there's better bullets than the PB, but that doesn't mean they don't work at all. We hear about the negative on forums much more than the success. We have 4 million muzzy hunters in the US. Subtract how many are on forums, and you have the number of hunters you never hear from. It's a lot!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Unlike the Fed bullet that we have no choice but to use the one bullet. We have many choices with the Powerbelt.

Ron's tests are torture tests, and will show any weakness a bullet has. The PBs in the 250gr range have never been good performers. Especially, the HP's that were made to expand fast.

I'd love to see the Platinum 338gr tested, or the Copper tipped 348gr/405gr. Those are used quite a bit around here for elk, and perform well for those using them.

The plywood Ron uses gets the bullets expanding faster than they would on game. We can't expect them to have good penetration.

Just trying to be fair. I know there's better bullets than the PB, but that doesn't mean they don't work at all. We hear about the negative on forums much more than the success. We have 4 million muzzy hunters in the US. Subtract how many are on forums, and you have the number of hunters you never hear from. It's a lot!
In general, that means there's also a lot more deer lost to poor bullets than we think too. One only has to Google 'problems with powerbelt bullets' and you'll have all the reading you can stand. There isn't any other modern bullet that has so much bad press and from all areas of the country.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider that fair, by any means, to the hunter and definitely not fair to the game being hunted. This is what is completely disgusting to me about some of the western states, almost requiring these bullets be used. Thank goodness bullets like Thor can (should) be used.

Ron's testing, although some may not completely agree with how its done, is a good example of what should be shown to some of the wildlife managers (DNR-FG-WLD, etc.) in those western states which won't allow saboted bullets.

Ron, you should put together a single video of your bullet tests, using the 80grs of BH.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't you think the file would be too large?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Don't you think the file would be too large?
I'm about as far from having video knowledge as anyone. But the file may be able to be reduced in resolution. Its worth a try and if anything, it could be uploaded to youtube and a link directed to it. It would take some editing most likely to put on a forum. IMO its worth a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.