Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Anti-BH209

Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Spike

I have shot 3 jugs of 209 thru my Genesis and not one iota of any
problems plus it shoots sub moa.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

I have an Encore PH frame with a Bergara barrel and I have had few issues with BH 209. If the sabot is a looser type, forget ignition. But having shot 2 bottles of the stuff now, I have worked out any small issues due to the range time I have put in. I have to say that the pros outweigh the cons by a far margin for me.

With that said I would have no problem shooting 777 or pyrodex from the gun either, but I know I will have to swab between shots. Not a big deal. All of them have their place.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Firt off I need to say I have not used BH-209. The price of it alone has turned me completely off of it. I no longer use T7 becuase of the hygroscopic properties. I never had any problems cleaning with T7-I just didn't like the properties of the powder. It did shoot very accurately. But it did need cleaned between shots to maintain that accuracy. And in my case I mean cleaned, not swabbed.

I think the tight bore is more a function of mfrs. preparing their firearms and sabots for the use of 209 primers. The sabot needs to be tighter in the bore or the 209 primer will simply blow the load out of the barrel. Thus changing the volume, and thus the acuracy.

Either you need to clean a rifle with BH-209 or you don't?? If you have to clean a rifle then how much longer can it possibly take to clean a rifle shot with BH-209 and straight BP?? Really?? How much longer??

I can easily shoot my rifle 30 times with BP. I can't see how cleaning time can be that much different with BP insted of BH if you stil have to clean it. How many minutes of your life are you loosing?? Tom.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Over the last year I've shot up 24 pounds of GOEX, a pound and a half of Pyrodex, and about half a pound of T7, so you can pretty well figure out what I like.

I bought a canister of Blackhorn two years ago. Still have half of it left. Might try it again some day but don't have a lot of incentive to do so.

Call me a nut if you want, but my opinion is GOEX is the most useful and forgiving powder out there.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have'nt nor will I ever use BH, why, because what I use works and works well. To me it seems many (and Im not dissing anyone who uses it) use it because they want the easy way out of shooting a MLer. For me a MLer has to be cleaned, swabbed and taken care of. If I do this then there's no problems. Mabey im Old fashioned but I still dont need a Powder that makes it easier to do the things that are easy to do anyway with just a small amount of more time.
If you get Corrosion in your MLer, it's your own fault not the Powders, if you have to Swab Between Shots, so what did it break your arm, and if the BH did'nt Ignite and you lost a chance at a Good Buck, Oh well at least you did'nt have to Swab between shots and worry less about cleaning and corrosion.
For me BH's advantages dont overcome it's disadvantages when you really think about it, you may gain one thing but lose more.
(BP)
Old 12-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
.................................For me BH's advantages dont overcome it's disadvantages when you really think about it, you may gain one thing but lose more.
(BP)
Well, i, um, hmmm, can't think of any disadvantages. Since the time it was available to purchase, i have been using BH, and only BH. In that time, i haven't stumbled across any of them 'disadvantages' you write about. It is used in my Accura, my Omega, my Triumph, my Omega, and my V2. It works good when it is cold, hot, wet, snowy, etc. It has led to the demise of maybe.........................18 deer, and 2 prairie dog............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................I give up, i have been sittin' here for awhile, but i can't think of any disadvantages.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I have'nt nor will I ever use BH, why, because what I use works and works well. To me it seems many (and Im not dissing anyone who uses it) use it because they want the easy way out of shooting a MLer. For me a MLer has to be cleaned, swabbed and taken care of. If I do this then there's no problems. Mabey im Old fashioned but I still dont need a Powder that makes it easier to do the things that are easy to do anyway with just a small amount of more time.
If you get Corrosion in your MLer, it's your own fault not the Powders, if you have to Swab Between Shots, so what did it break your arm, and if the BH did'nt Ignite and you lost a chance at a Good Buck, Oh well at least you did'nt have to Swab between shots and worry less about cleaning and corrosion.
For me BH's advantages dont overcome it's disadvantages when you really think about it, you may gain one thing but lose more.
(BP)
I assume then (and I am not dissing you over this) that you walk to work instead of driving, wash your clothes down at the river instead of using a machine, shoot a flintlock instead of an inline? If it will work just as good for you or in some's cases even better why wouldn't a person use it. If I have two or more products that will work for me but one of those products makes it easier on me then you can bet I am using the easier one. If your not dedicated enough to do everything aspect of your life the hard way and not use anything that makes doing anything easier then why just MLing? Just my humble view of your post. I mean I could care less if you ever try BH209 so nothing personal.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Don't care much for the smell of Hoppes #9.
Somebody get this man some help. Quick!! Check out Gunzilla. It has a very low, not unpleasant odor and it is non-toxic. It is not all I use but I use it most of the time on all of my firearms (many times I use it as my lubricant and protectant as well).

I just started muzzleloading this season, I have only used BH209 and I see absolutely no reason to use anything else.

I shoot the inexpensive TC Omega Z5 and my longest single range session so far was 40 shots. I never swabbed a single time, and I never had to use a drill bit on my breech plug during the session. As stated by others, the last shot was as easy to load as the first. I also did not, and have not, experienced a single ignition problem. Bang on time, every time. I also have had no problem with looser-fitting sabots. There is not a sabot (that I know of) any easier to load than the Harvester black crush rib, and I experience tight groups with it. The breechplug has never been difficult to remove, including the time I forgot to lubricate the threads before reinstalling it. I also have left a load of BH209 in my gun for 3 weeks and it went bang when I needed it to.

I cannot comment on how easy or hard it is to clean BH209 in comparison to GOEX, 777, Pyrodex, etc. Cleaning the barrel is no easier or more difficult than cleaning that of a centerfire rifle. And of course, it depends on your definition of "clean", too. The breechplug is not a problem to clean. A couple of twists from a 1/8" drill bit, a soak in some solvent and it comes clean as new with a few minutes of work.

As far as corrosiveness goes, the jury is still out for me. I left my Omega's barrel uncleaned after shooting BH209 for three days and I had rust. Of course, I immediately blamed the BH209. But after more consideration (and a session of hunting in the rain with my Omega), I have to say that the Omega's barrel is particularly unresistant to rust. I have left the bores of other firearms uncleaned for close to a year without any rust. I have taken other firearms out in the rain and snow and no rust appeared before I was able to clean them. So, the rust may be an Omega Z5 issue, or it may be a BH209 issue. Or a bit of both. Time will tell.

To each his own. If BH209 doesn't work with your gun, don't use it. My slug gun can't close a 5" group with Lightfields. I really want my gun to like Lightfields, but I guess it just ain't in the cards, is it?!

If anyone has some BH209 they are NOT going to use, please PM me...I'll be glad to take it off your hands!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I have a half can if anybody wants it. I sold my last BH209 compatable rifle so I have no need for it. I did like BH209 over T7 but I prefer good 'ol Swiss 3f for my muzzy's. I don't have to swab my White Rifles anyway so that was never an advantage for me. To each their own it would be a boring forum if everybody shot the same rifles and powder.

I will not ship powder. If you want to p/u its yours.

Last edited by Nimrodder; 12-14-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nimrodder
I have a half can if anybody wants it.
-PM sent!-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.