Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Anti-BH209

Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Spike

I use 777 for all 3 of my ML, and have had great success. When BH209 first came out I was interested, but could not find it for sale anywhere near me, I could have it shipped with the addition of a hazmat charge wich added $$. I dont mind swabbing between shots, never had a problem with the crud ring that a little elbow grease could not handel. As far as the barrel rusting, someone already posted this, thats your fault not the powder. I have nothing against BH209, never shot it. I like my 777, and the deer I have shot with it sure did'nt know the difference.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Never used it never will. Goex and Pyrodex is fine in my guns.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now the only thing keeping me from Bh 209 is the price, man it's expensive! and with this economy being so chronically slow i can't justify it.also no one locally carries it and to have it shipped is very expensive also.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

Exactly and when you are retired... the economy is even tighter... Got our 2011 Social Security information in the mail today.... things are going to get even tighter.

But I would say if I were just an occasional shooter - i would shoot BH - even though it might be cheaper to shoot centerfire and reload....

But I burn 6-9 lbs of T7 per year that might work out to close to 14 bottles of BH in a season... so 14 times $25 to $30 per bottle or 9 times $20 per bottle... Now I know you are right....
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I buy it When Cabelas has it on sale for $19.99, take the ad to who has coupons out at the time(Bass Pro, Gander Mountain) and they match the price and use the coupon. Last time i got it for $15 a can with the coupon at Cabelas.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

Exactly and when you are retired... the economy is even tighter... Got our 2011 Social Security information in the mail today.... things are going to get even tighter.

But I would say if I were just an occasional shooter - i would shoot BH - even though it might be cheaper to shoot centerfire and reload....

But I burn 6-9 lbs of T7 per year that might work out to close to 14 bottles of BH in a season... so 14 times $25 to $30 per bottle or 9 times $20 per bottle... Now I know you are right....
i hear you loud and clear..yesterday i was shooting and the wife was shooting her youth model wolverine, then i had my 9 yr old and his friend shooting the wifes rifle also lol. i went through quite a bit of powder and i suspect a lot more in the future since my son absolutely loved shooting that wolverine rifle. he said dad it didnt even kick that bad lol!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

Kids are aboslutely great! 99% of the time and when they join in on family activities - it just make the whole family that much stronger....
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

BH209 doesn't reliably work in most unmodified CVA rifles and since they sell the most guns, many smaller and general (Marts) retailers don't carry it. Most T/C dealers carry though.

I'm sure once another similar powder makes it to market, prices will come down.

$0.02
Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

Kids are aboslutely great! 99% of the time and when they join in on family activities - it just make the whole family that much stronger....
That statement in this case especially is so true, considering i didn't see him for 1 1/2 years due to his mothers druggie ways. and i spent another year and still counting in the courts to get custody of him, with no "lawyer" just me.i have had him since august and he's been dove hunting,deer hunting is shooting a .22 LR i gave him and now the muzzle loader and loves doing it all.come to think of it i need to take him quail hunting,before the season ends lol!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
BH209 doesn't reliably work in most unmodified CVA rifles and since they sell the most guns, many smaller and general (Marts) retailers don't carry it. Most T/C dealers carry though.

I'm sure once another similar powder makes it to market, prices will come down.

$0.02
I am in total agreement,competition lowers prices..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.