Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Anti-BH209

Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I like the BH 209. It has never had any ignition problems out of the 3 different muzzys that I shot it out of, TC Pro Hunter, Omega and a Knight Disc Elite. All three guns cleaned up quickly and shot different loads in each with great results. I'm not having any problems with getting the powder either, around here it runs between 22-25 a jug.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The best thing is we use what is best suited for our needs. That might be BlackHorn or then it might be Goex or some other brand.

Enjoy shooting and shoot what you like.
Amen to that! Well said.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

We are blessed with a wide range of powders and projectiles to choose from. Those who came before us 150 years ago had one powder and one projectile. They had to make it work.

It's sad that Black Dot never made it to the market place.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess since I've shot flintlocks since the 70s I don't see the problem with Goex FFF...I still use this in my flinters and my Knight...I've tried 777 and had to lap the barrel to get rid of the crud ring...I've used Pyrodex when I could catch it on sale but didn't see any advantage of it over Goex...I'm too tight to pay for 209...I figured if I didn't want to have to clean a muzzzleloader I'd get a Savage and shoot smokeless...

Guess I'm just bass ackwards, I'm still using XTPs as well...
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
I guess I never realized people had that many problems with T7 freezing breech plugs up. I always just put some anti-seize goop (same I use for spark plugs) on the threads before each shooting session, and I've never had issues.

For me that was the deal maker for BH 209. I would not have switched from 777 because of swabbing alone. It was the freezing of the BP that caused me despair. I began to dread shooting because I knew that in a short while I would have to try and loosen the BP.

It was ridicules two see to grown men; one holding the gun, and the other putting his weight behind the ratchet trying to break free the BP.

What also drove me crazy was getting my fingers pinched or striking the top of the rear stock when it did release.

With BH 209 I could almost take the plug out with my fingers after 25 shots in a row.

Downside: The plug cleaning. I use a 1/8 drill bit for buildup in the flash channel. I do this after 25 shots. And I let the plug sit in a bottle of t17 from tc to loosen all the carb buildup.

D

Last edited by Doug100g; 12-12-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

BH209 eliminates all the grief you get with other powders. I have always said, you can achieve pretty much the same performance with 777, but BH209 is the only way to go for me.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Spike

I am done with the stuff. Twice I had problems getting it to fire. Once I fired 3 primers through it and no go. The other it hang fired with the second primer but finally went bang. Thank goodness it wasn't when hunting and I will not go out hunting with a lack of confidence in my equipment. Gun was properly cleaned, correct type of primer, correct style and clean breech plug, etc. and I know some of you will have your doubts about all of that and that is OK.

Cleaning isn't all it is all cut out to be either. The gun cleans up OK but it is all but impossible to clean the breech plug after using the stuff. I expect to see shiny stainless steel when I am done cleaning it and while that was easy with all other powders I have ever used is a bear with this stuff. Tar stuff that need brushed, scraped, drilled... no thanks.

I will miss the two finger breech plug removal and no need to swab between shots but I will at least be confident the gun will go "bang" when I pull the trigger.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

BH209 is the worst thing ever invented. I hope everyone stops buying it and it goes down to 15.99 a can...............

I cant imagine having to go back to 777 and swabbing between shots.....if i never use windex again it will be okay with me.........
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

All powders have their place.

I love 209 for hunting. Too pricey just to play around with.

I don't find it cleans up any fast than T7. Don't care much for the smell of Hoppes #9.

Don't mind swabbing between shots, just part of muzzleloading and if I'm messing around on the range, so what.

Will i keep using it... yup, for hunting cause I have a damn accurate load worked up with it and easy reloading in the field.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

in the past i was never much of a muzzleloader, but i bought a tc prohunter last year and decided to get back into it. I tried bh209 for the first time a couple weeks ago after reading so much positive press on it and i have to say i really love this stuff. I shot pyrodex pellets in the past, and the one thing initially i didnt like about 209 was that i had to deal with loose powder, but i got over it and i havent looked back. So far ive had zero problems....ignition, cleaning, breech plug, consistency. Im sure as i do it more ill find some cons, but im really loving the stuff so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.