Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Anti-BH209

Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure once another similar powder makes it to market, prices will come down.

Too bad that Black Dot did not make it to the market.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by falcon
Too bad that Black Dot did not make it to the market.
I am not sure that Black Dot would have done it... it was not a smokeless powder + it would have hydgrosopic...

It really needs to be another Nitro product...
Old 12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i, um, hmmm, can't think of any disadvantages. Since the time it was available to purchase, i have been using BH, and only BH. In that time, i haven't stumbled across any of them 'disadvantages' you write about. It is used in my Accura, my Omega, my Triumph, my Omega, and my V2. It works good when it is cold, hot, wet, snowy, etc. It has led to the demise of maybe.........................18 deer, and 2 prairie dog............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................I give up, i have been sittin' here for awhile, but i can't think of any disadvantages.
OK Ron, you Make and Modify your own BP's, since BH is having problems with igniting with CVA's and I shoot CVA's why should I use BH if Pyro works and BH may not. (A Dissadvantage) If you have to Modify your BP to make it more BH Friendly than it's a Dissadvantage.
Again if you or anyone else uses BH that's fine, but Im not going to change what works for me, especially if I have to make it work by changing things like My BP's. Im sure it Kills just as many Deer as Pyro. Now mabey if it Fired every time out of every MLer and every BP and if you never had to clean your MLer or swab it, just shoot it and put it away, then BH would have something there.
Mabey Im Old Fashioned and like Cleaning My MLer and Swabbing.
Im Sure BH is a Great Powder, if your or anyone else is Happy with it that's Great. I know what it is......My Wife Works 3-11, and after a Hunt and I take a Deer I need something to do like Clean My MLer, if I used BH it would take all the Fun out of My Lonely Nights. And I like the Smoke Cloud after the shot, does BH Smoke? I'd really miss that if it did'nt
(BP)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug, if you start shooting BH, don't get into the habit of putting it away without cleaning the rifle. It can and will rust.

Now, me, being me, and of course for the sake of science, i do let my rifles go for days and weeks, without cleaning.

Don't quit using pyrodex, if you are happy using it.

Making a breechplug that will be reliable with BH is not a 'disadvantage' to me. It is a hobby, and i enjoy the time i spend doing it. It is easier for me to make a breech plug, than it is to mount a scope without a canted cross hair. Mounting a scope is fun for me too.

BH smokes some. The fun you have on lonely nights is made by your will, and inner strength; BH cannot take that from you.

I like to share things with friends, if they don't take 'friendship' for granted. Besides, you may be the first, to try these plug with pyro. It is almost Christmas, after all.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I assume then (and I am not dissing you over this) that you walk to work instead of driving, wash your clothes down at the river instead of using a machine, shoot a flintlock instead of an inline? If it will work just as good for you or in some's cases even better why wouldn't a person use it. If I have two or more products that will work for me but one of those products makes it easier on me then you can bet I am using the easier one. If your not dedicated enough to do everything aspect of your life the hard way and not use anything that makes doing anything easier then why just MLing? Just my humble view of your post. I mean I could care less if you ever try BH209 so nothing personal.
You kinda got me figured out....So your saying you use the Best of everything made because it makes things easier for you. Do you drive the Best Cars and Trucks made, Own the Biggest House, Eat out every night ect ect. Have the Best of everything made, Probably not. But if you do Im happy for you!
Yes I for example Heat with Wood insted of using Gas, is it easier to just turn up the Thermostate than to Cut My own trees down and haul and split and stack and carry in the wood, yes, but I do it the other way because I get more satisfaction out of it. Do I drag My Own Deer 2 miles out of the Woods in sted of using a 4 Wheeler, yep. Do I work on My own Cars and Trucks insted of taking them to the Shop, if I can I do.
So having something that makes things easier to do because it might be a better way does'nt bother me.
I grew up on a Farm, Im a Farm Boy, I learn to use what works, If it works for me and I have to do a little extra to get there than Im fine with that, if what's out there is better but what I use get's the same results Im satisfied with what I have.
Again, Im sure BH is a Great Powder, but I dont need to change for me what works, and because I use Pyro Powder does'nt make me any less of a Hunter.
And you know that I do know People that Drive a Horse to Work, Wash there Clothes at the Creek, and have no Electricty. They live a Simple Life and get by. And when I talk with the Young Amish Boy I see when Im Hunting and he's shooting a old Single Shot Shotgun and Dragging His Deer out I see how simple things are and how it does'nt matter what you have or what you do as long as it get's done.
(BP)
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Spike

I am halfway through my first can of black horn, i have used pyrodex and T7 but wont anylonger... black horn works better for me and i can get it localy. I dont miss swabbing and figthting the breech plug.