Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Accuracy of a Savage 10MLII... >

Accuracy of a Savage 10MLII...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accuracy of a Savage 10MLII...

Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy of a Savage 10MLII...

Just thought I would post these groups from my alst 2 range outings...

First group is 65gn of IMR 4198, 300gn XTP, Harvester short black sabot, and Fed 209a primers. This was a session resighting in after having the Savage Black Iced (teflon coated) and restocked with a B&C Duramaxx...

Second group is 66gn of IMR 4198, 300gn Speer Cold Dot, Harvester short black sabot, and Fed 209a primers. This was a test session for the Gold Dots, I started with 65gn and got a 2-2.5" group and then shot this with 66gn on a 90 degree day...

Here is a pic of my Savage topped with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40mm...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Accuracy of a Savage 10MLII...

That is some very impressive shooting. Those are some real good shooting rifles. Everyone that owns one seems happy with the groups they shoot .
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

Just thought I would post these groups from my alst 2 range outings...

First group is 65gn of IMR 4198, 300gn XTP, Harvester short black sabot, and Fed 209a primers. This was a session resighting in after having the Savage Black Iced (teflon coated) and restocked with a B&C Duramaxx...

Second group is 66gn of IMR 4198, 300gn Speer Cold Dot, Harvester short black sabot, and Fed 209a primers. This was a test session for the Gold Dots, I started with 65gn and got a 2-2.5" group and then shot this with 66gn on a 90 degree day...

Here is a pic of my Savage topped with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40mm...
Beautiful looking rifle and I >>>know<<< you love the way it shoots. I have not tried the Gold Dot in mine yet and I just bought the 4198 powder. I have excellent groups with Parker Ballistic Extreme 275g and 44g of AA 5744, also 300g TC SW non-bonded.
Chap Gleason
Old 09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

What I really like is the Black Ice Coating (teflon), protects the exterior of all the metal parts of the gun and doesn't add to heat build up in the barrel... I just wipe it down; clean up the plug, vent liner, and threads (all I use these days is yellow or pick teflon tape); clean up the barrel and give a quick oiled patch... done! That is about as sweet as it shoots... no third pillar or even bedding. I do use the pocampo EZ Tool to get the plug out with out breaking down the rear stock screw and taking out the bolt.

It has replaced (shock, horror) my Whites (S91 and M98) as my go to muzzleloader...

Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Your savage looks great and the groups are too,looks like it is going to be a great shooter.
Have been shooting one since they came out.Below is a target I shot with the one I have now at 300 yds last year,4 shots,and the second one is a group I shot 8/7/07 this year at 300 yds,3 shots,useing a different powder.You see why my savage is my go to muzzleloader.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

CAYUGAD DON'T LOOK!!!!!!

Oh damm it's too late![:@]
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Dominant Buck

My eyes!!! My eyes!!! that is some nice shooting there.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Flatland Hunter

Now you are gonna know that I have never even looked at, held or touched a Savage ML - guess I have never even looked at a picture... but dumb question... where are the thimbles for the ram rod? or better yet where is the ram rod? or is there a ram rod? ...

Just asken'
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Flatland Hunter

Now you are gonna know that I have never even looked at, held or touched a Savage ML - guess I have never even looked at a picture... but dumb question... where are the thimbles for the ram rod? or better yet where is the ram rod? or is there a ram rod? ...

Just asken'
I tool off the thimble... no room for a ramrod with the Duramaxx stock. I will carry a break down rod during the season.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

It has replaced (shock, horror) my Whites (S91 and M98) as my go to muzzleloader...
I know exactly what you mean. I plan on using my Savage all ML and rifle season and really bought the gun to go elk hunting in rifle season in Colorado next year. I bought it 1 year ahead of time to give me time to select loads and bullets and hunt with it some. I am glad I did, because the heat causes a lot of problems with rifle accuracy. Most Savages are excellent shooters if you take the time to find the right bullet and powder and sabot and primer. Doug's Savage Forum was of great help to me with load development and general troubleshooting and getting experience/expertise. I like the coating on your rifle, looks very cool. I may get one of those tools, since I know that taking the screw out to remove the bolt can hurt accuracy. I see over on Doug's they have a "Fat Wrench", which is a tourqe screw driver for rifles. I think I will go that way, since I can use the Fat Wrench for other uses not just rifle screws. Great shooting. Chap Gleason