Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accuracy of Savage Mark II >

Accuracy of Savage Mark II

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy of Savage Mark II

Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Accuracy of Savage Mark II

I bought this rifle expecting stellar accuracy but so far I've been disapointed at what I've been able to get. My best groups have been around 1 1/2 " at 50 yds. Most over 2". I've tried many brands of ammo, some high dollar stuff included and it all sucks. My next question is ,could fire lapping help? I need some input as an inaccurate rifle doesn't live with me long!!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2006, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Accuracy of Savage Mark II

I agree with contacting Savage or selling/trading it in. I have a savage in .300 win mag and easily get 1" groups @ 100 yards. Your accuracy so far is just not acceptable.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I've got the one with laminated stock & the bull barrel. I've had it about 1 month, and my groups are right around 1/2" at 50 yards.

I've just been using the cheapo Remington lead round nose brick ammo., though. My plan is to pick up several different brands in the near future, & figure out which one it likes best.

I'd advise trying a few brands of ammo., & if the groups don't tighten-up, get ahold of Savage. It seems like that posts I've read about the company suggest that they'd take care of the problem.

Good luck,

FC
Old 10-25-2006, 06:27 PM

I've tried many different brands of ammo, Federal Gold Metal Ultra Match, CCI green tag, CCI pistol match, Fiocchi M320 match ,Aguilla SE extra in both standard and high volicity, the Remington golden bullet, Winchester super x , PMC scoremaster and PMC zapper and some others I will not bother to list. I have a Savage 223 varmint, a 270 and a tactical 308, and they all group very small. This is why I wanted to try one in 22 rim fire. By the way it is a heavy barrel, (bull barrel)! Thanks for the replies and info.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 PM

I was thinking of putting this one on a football board. i know it was made in Canada,as this is likely the problem.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 AM

I wanted to add that I contacted Savage regarding my 10ML-II muzzleloader when I could not get the vent liner out of the breachplug, when receiving it from the factory. The must have test fired it without having any antiseize on the vent liner threads. I explained the problem and was told that they would take care of it immediately. A week later I got 3 new breach plugs and a half a dozen new vent liners in the mail. The breachplugs alone are $30 a pop. I was pleased that they were receptive to my call and concern, and took care of it immediately. This service was another reason that I bought a Savage .300 win mag and not another brand.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you buy this rifle new or used? I have 4 Savages and every one can shoot. Including a MKII that I bought used. I assume you have a scope on it. Have you tried it with the iron sights at 25 yds.? It could be your scope too. Try the open sights and if it still is acting up and you bought it new, give savage a call.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 PM

It's a heavy barrel w-o open sights, but the scope came off my 30-06 and performed well there. it's the only Savage I own that will not group well, although it's the only 22 cal. Savage I own also. Guys thanks for the suggestions! I may have just got that Friday evening LEMON, and by the way I bought it new.

Quick Reply: Accuracy of Savage Mark II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.