Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 savage combo guns owners   accuracy ? >

savage combo guns owners accuracy ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

savage combo guns owners accuracy ?

Old 01-23-2004, 03:59 AM

Default savage combo guns owners accuracy ?

i have on hold a savage combo gun. chambered in 12ga and 223rem. i have heard mixed results from many guns articles on these but gun tests highly likes them.
thinking of picking it up for rabbits and yotes. how are the iron sights on these guns? i like the idea of buying 40 rounds for $10-15 a box for the 223rem.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: savage combo guns owners accuracy ?

I have one in 20ga/22mag and one in .410/22lr. The accuracy is pretty good. I've only shot squirrels with it didn't do too much bench rest shooting. I don't know what it would group but I didn't miss too many squirrels with the 22 mag. I never shot the centerfire models but I'll bet that they are accurate enough that, with open sites, they can shoot better than most shooters can shoot them (if that made any sense). They are great guns and a must in the fall when you can shoot rabbits, squirrels and grouse but also a coyote or a turkey at longer ranges. I put a scope on mine for a little while but I thought it compromised the shotgun part and took it off. My dad has a 12ga/222rem Tikka and the 222 can shoot 3 shots into one ragged hole from the bench. It has a scopem though.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly....They will shoot. Just try lots of different ammo, and if you're going to put a scope on it, don't skimp.

Also, if it is a new one...the scope mounts are only attached on one side...the left. If any pressure at all is put on the scope the mount will eventually shift. What we did was have a friend put a small tac weld on the right side so that wouldn't happen. This gun was made about 4-5yrs ago. Not sure if they fixed the problem.

You could actually take the scope and if you twisted it firmly...it would move slightly.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

When I first got my .222/20 ga. I had a 2.5 power bushnell mounted on it. The first time I called in a coyote he came in to about 20 yards and I selected the shotgun barrel to shoot him with a load of BBs. The scope was a big handycap and I ended up sighting along the side of the barrel and shooting. My cozin and I followed a spot of blood here and there for the better part of the day and never found that dog. Shortly after that I took the scope off and learned to get the best out of the .222 with the open sights that came on the gun. I have often thought about trying to get a peep rear sight but the originals have served me well enough.

My cozin and I had identical guns and one problen we both had was that in cold weather the gun would sometimes not fire. We cleaned the actions with varsol and dryed and lubed with grafite and had no more problems.

Robin
Old 01-23-2004, 10:41 AM
DM

"If" your would be willing to spend a bit more money, you could buy a used Valmet 412 combination gun. These could be had in many many calibers, and also "double rifle" bbls, 12 and 20 ga O/U shot bbls were also offered for them, along with the combination bbls.. The bbls have to be "fit" by a dealer, but once done you have one gun that will do it all!!!!

Valmet also offered a very well made all steel "quick attach" scope mount too, and later shot bbls had choke tubes too.

I use to sell and fit these bbls, and i still have a lot of them around.

I've shot a lot of game with my Valmet 412, and it's been a great gun!!!

Drilling Man
Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM

I've owned four or five of them, but only had one that shot both the shotgun and rifle barrel to the same point of aim. Or in other words, once the rifle sights or scope was zeroed, the shotgun barrel would pattern way off. I wouldn't recommend them.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:24 AM

I have had 3 different combination guns over the years all three were very accurate. The first one was sold by savage model 2400 it was made if memory serves me in Finnland it was 222/12ga both barrels shot to the same point of aim. The other 2 were both Valmet 412 30-06/12ga and both of them would shoot 1/2 inch or less @100 yds. and that is 5 shot groups. I only shot slugs out of one of them and it shot the same point of aim. I also had a double rifles in 30-06 & 375RDS the 30-06 would shoot a 6 shot group of 3/4 inch or better thats 3 from each barrel. The scope mount was really cool the way you could turn one thumb screw and take the scope off or replace it and it always came back to zero. A friend of mine took his caribou hunting had the rifle disassembled in his pack until he got off the plane put it back togeather and killed his caribou with it. By the way all 3 of mine the shotgun barrels shot to the same point of aim.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Host of Hosts

Most all Savages shoot well!