Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 209 primers - too hot or not? >

209 primers - too hot or not?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209 primers - too hot or not?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 209 primers - too hot or not?

ORIGINAL: user06

I have been told that some 209 primers are too hot for using with pellets and actually "blow past" the pellets andnot all of the pellet powder gets used. Any suggested 209 primers on the market that address this problem? I hear Remington may have come out with a "cooler" 209 primer to address this problem.
IF you have a primer that is so hot it will blow hot gases past the powder pellets, the pellets will no doubt get better ignition than with a primer that WON"T blow gas past he pellets. Igntion and burning would have to bebetter with the hotter primer!

This is the first time I've heard of such a problem from a hotter primer-usually we hear of powder that is NOT getting good ignition!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wabi

I could never understand why inlines need 209 primer ignition. Since the path for the flame is straight, it seems like a regular old percussion cap would be plenty. I've been thinking about switching to the brass 209 sized holders that use a small rifle/pistol primer.
But for an answer to the question, I've used regular 209 primes and the new milder (Winchester T-7 & Remington) primers & can't really see any difference in accuracy or cleaning.
Not too many years ago, there were several primer nipple gadgets on the market, (Fusil V, etc.) which took the place of a standard #11 size nipple on a sidelock. These let you use a SR primer instead of a cap. These had a screw-on top cap with a floating firing pin inside that you put on after insering the primer. I tried one out on a Hawken I was using at the time, shooting patched balls over a chronograph. The rifle was shooting erratically per the chronograph readings, so I put the #11 nipple back on and fired a ten-shot string with the same charge except using a #11 cap instead of the SR primer. The results were amazing. The #11's gave velocitiy variations of only 5-9 FPS instead of 75-100 FPS! Needless to say, I ash-canned the primer nipple!

More recently, I decided to try a thing called a Mag-Spark, which in many ways resembles the SR primer device but which lets you use a No. 209 primer instead. This device works much better, giving a pretty uniform MV and good accuracy. I think that the difference might be that the Mag-Spark has a tinyhole in the bottom for the flash togo thru to get to the powder charge, just like the regular #11 nipple has. The other thing was bored the same diameter straight through from the SR primerchamberdown, with no hole at all to focus the flash.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: user06

I have been told that some 209 primers are too hot for using with pellets and actually "blow past" the pellets andnot all of the pellet powder gets used. Any suggested 209 primers on the market that address this problem? I hear Remington may have come out with a "cooler" 209 primer to address this problem.
IF you have a primer that is so hot it will blow hot gases past the powder pellets, the pellets will no doubt get better ignition than with a primer that WON"T blow gas past he pellets. Igntion and burning would have to bebetter with the hotter primer!

This is the first time I've heard of such a problem from a hotter primer-usually we hear of powder that is NOT getting good ignition!
I totally agree! my brother is a firm believer now in the 209 primer when he had a delay while shooting the biggest buck of his life, and he was shooting no. 11 primers(and no, his muzzleloader nipple was clean). Idon't care ifitwill decrease accuracy a little, as longg as it doesn't fail or delay!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

When i got back into muzzleloading after many years i was determined to use Pyrodex pellets. Well, i found out that #11 caps in my Stag Horn would not reliably light pellets. Changed it over to take musket primers and it seemed to workwell until i missed out onthe nicest OK buck i ever saw due to a hangfire. Changed it again to accept 209 primers and that was the end of the problem for me. Except for Clean Shot pellets, that is.Never had any success in lighting Clean Shot pellets in any of the three CVA rifles that i have owned. 209 primers just would not do it, tried several different brands with out success. They will light very well when boosted with five grains of Pyrodex.i totally gave up on Clean Shot pellets. Fired up the last of them the other day.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM

Variflame primer adapters are the way to go. Bought the system last year and have shot over 100 times with the system. I use 100-150 gr. Pyrodex Pellets with awesome results. Touching groups at 100 yards with that set up. This is out of a TC Encore 209x50. You can pick them up at Cabelas. They are on Precision Bullet Web site if you want to look. The other breech plug conversions operate on the same principle and are great also. I use large rifle primers and get complete ignition of the powder and the less fowling with just the primer. Even less than the Kleenbores.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an inline that uses a #11 cap. If I'm using loose powder then I shouldn't have to convert it to 209 right?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

I have an inline that uses a #11 cap. If I'm using loose powder then I shouldn't have to convert it to 209 right?
A #11 cap will ignite loose powder just fine. Try and get a quality cap though. RWS 1075 or CCI Magnum are good ones....