Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 primers????????? >

primers?????????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

primers?????????

Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM

Default primers?????????

I was at a local gun store today buying primers to load in my 270wsm.I have used cci primers for a couple years now and have never had a problem with them,But when I asked for them at the counter another man standing there said [why in the hell are you useing that junk for].he said there are alot better primers out there to use and went on rambleing why cci where so bad.So I went ahead and paided for them and left as he was still standing there blowing hot air.I just wanted to ask some of you what primers you all use.If there is some out there that is so much better than what I use I would like to try them.I am always looking to improve.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Default RE: primers?????????

So far Ive only loaded for pistol cartridges, but have zero complaints about CCI primers. They seem good to me.

early
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

in my 223 load I originally started out using federal primers and one day I was out looking for primers and couldnt find any federals so I went with CCI and my groups went from 1 inch on average to under 1 inch just by using a different primer. I dont know what that guys deal was other than he was just another blow hard which you seem to run into alot in the world of reloading. I wouldnt worry about anything he said.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I reload using small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle and large rifle magnum primers and almost exclusively use CCIs. I've been reloading for over 40 years and never had a misfire or hang fire in the tens of thousands of rounds I've loaded and shot off. I swear, some people just like to hear themselves talk and if you don't heed their advise your wrong.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:56 AM

The dude probably missed a critter or ten using CCI's and thus the bias opinion against 'em.

There be more to that equation than his primers tho'...........

That said, I've experience hinked up velocity spreads with CCI's and now drive Feds with much less trouble.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Spike

You could have been talking to my dad, as he has little to no time for CCI. Only issue I have ever had w CCI was when working with a weak firing pin spring the primers failed to fire. IMHO the issue was not with the primer as the firing pin spring was weak.

That being said, when firing loads using WLR primers all rounds would fire fine. On the flip side if one is working with a hot load, which may encourage a primer piercing issue, the harder CCI primer can offer a measure of safety.

Personally I am a CCI BR4 fan when working w small rifle applications. Though Ill show little preference in the large rifle applications, as large rifle primer cups are all very similar.

Sounds like you may find the following link of interest

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once ran a comparison between Win and CCI LR mag primers in my 7mm to see what differences they would make. What I found was that the CCI's averaged about 25fps faster and had about a 25% smaller spread in velocityvs the Win's. Both shot accurately and the difference isn't statisticly significant but I went with the CCI's anyway for that small addition of confidence. No complaints here with them. On the other hand my 30-30 load uses Win primers and I have had a couple that have not went off even after 3 tries at firing them, they had a nice dent in them from the firing pin but did not go off. Not sure what caused it but it makes me nervous about them.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM

Just another gunshow idiot... or should I say expert!

I personally prefer CCI.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
bigcountry

People make snap judgements based off of one experience. But I have learned you can't do that. I used to think winchester primers were inconsistent, just because of one time I had horrible results with them. I always thought federals were the top of the line because I had good luck with them. But I have seen the opposite with other people. They can pull off 4" groups at 500 yards with winchester but opens to 10" with Federals.

I know for me, I start off with federals because I buy them in bulk. I then might try CCI's next, and winchesters. Rarely do I use remingtons.

But I use CCI's in all my pistols. They are tough and have a repuation of not being soft for progressive reloading.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

anyone have any experience with magtech large rifle primers? I got super bulk deal 2,000 for 20 bucks. My next batch of 30-06 im gonna give them a try. ive been using magtech small pistol in my 357 mags and 38 special loads with good results.

Quick Reply: primers?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.