Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

primers

Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default primers

Im useing #11 primers now .I m thinking bout switching to the 209 primers . Because im getting alot of misfires. im wondering what the pro's and cons are of doing that?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: primers

I just started using the small pistol primers with the Variflame adapters in my Omega and they work great. (using pellets) First of all, what type / make of ML are you shooting? I'm sure someone can help you. But that is probably one of the first things they will ask... alot of people think the 209's are a bit too much power and increase fouling and could POSSIBLY affect accuracy by displacing the bullet from the charge during ignition. I guess it really depends what you have. I used the #11 primers for several years and only had a misfire when I was using old ones. Also they might not ignite pellets very well. The new hotter rememington #11 primers always worked flawlessly for me. (new tin every year) When I carry them in the field I put them in a film case. Sometimes put a little pouch of silica gel in the containerto avoid condensation. Are you using new, dry primers?

chris
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Spike

Im shooting a 50cal hunterbolt . I got the gun for doing some work .hey thx for the help .
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Sometimes misfires from "11's are caused by the primer not fitting all the way down on the nipple. Certain brands of primers are (slightly) smaller than others and when the hammer falls, it merely "seats" the primer down on the nipple all the way. If the hammer is dropped again, it will usually fire. The problem is not that the primer is a dud, but it's not getting a solid whack when you pull the trigger the first time.
I had this with my ML with CCI primers and since I switched to Remington's have had no more problems. Some guys file their nipple smaller to accomodate the smaller primer, but it's easier to switch brands IMO. Sometimes all it takes is a more solid "push" with your thumb to fully seat the primer on the nipple.

Good Luck
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: limbhangers2

Im shooting a 50cal hunterbolt . I got the gun for doing some work .hey thx for the help .
If you're shooting pellets instead of loose powder it does not surprise me you are having misfires. #11 caps are not recommend for pellets. They just do not have enough fire most the time to give consistant ignition. If you are not preparing the rifle for shooting then misfires can happen. If you are doing your part and using loose powder, that rifle should and will go off.

Before you load... Take a patch and put some isopropyl 91% alcohol on it and then swab the barrel. Now run two dry patches through the barrel to make sure it is bone dry. Put a new patch on that cleaning jag, push it to the bottom of the breech on top of the breech plug and pop a cap. Pull that patch and look at it. It should show burn marks. If not, pop another cap through the breech. Now push another patch down there and do it all over again. Pull that patch and it will show burn marks. If it does not, then pull your breech plug. Something is plugged there.

Once you got fire coming through the hole, and loose powder, that rifle will fire as well as it would with a 209 primer. #11 primers are a lot more water proof then people give them credit for. On my inlines, I prefer the #11 cap. Less crud build up and I carry around a straight line capper for the day of hunting. Not that I have anything against 209 primers.

Like I said, if you're shooting pellets.. that is your problem. If it is loose powder and a good quality cap like a CCI MAGNUM or a 1075 RWS you will fire that gun.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Spike

i wonder if i cut the primer a little before putting it on will help it get the fire?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Ive only had one inline thats used #11's and its performed flawless. CCI Magnums really add a kick.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes misfires from "11's are caused by the primer not fitting all the way down on the nipple.
Yes... that could also be it.

I guess now that I think of it, I have had that happen maybe a couple times, but realized what the problem was. We were target shooting alot that day, just messing around. There was quite a bit of powderfouling built up on the outside of the nipple. Took and emery board to it and really cleaned it up...then no more problems. This was onan old TC carbine side lock.

chris
Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

If the powder won't fire, using a nipple pick may help to clear an obstruction or residue from the nipple.

A finer granulation of powder may ignite easier.

If the primer doesn't go off, lubricate the bolt and thoroughly clean it of residue.

You can try tosand down the nipple to seat the cap better, try anotherbrand of capsortry outa new nipple.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM

If you have a reliable way to convert to 209s all pros no cons, hands down for most shooters.

Quick Reply: primers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.