Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sighting T/C Omega with Shockwaves >

Sighting T/C Omega with Shockwaves

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting T/C Omega with Shockwaves

Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Sighting T/C Omega with Shockwaves

Shot about 45 rounds with my SS Omega today and so far the best load is 125grains FFG 777 with 250 grains Shockwave. Conceder some operator's errors the average came out as 1" high on 50yards, 0" on 100 yards about 1" low at 150 yards and about 9" low at 200 yards. I did not have too much time today to play with different loads/bullets.
Accuracy was excellent and I broke every clay pidgin from the first shot at 150 yards.
Questions are:
1). Should I try to zero 2” high at 100 yards and see what is going happened at 200 yards?
2). Should I try 300 grains and does it worth all hassle?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Sighting T/C Omega with Shockwaves

I'd leave it. 9" low @ 200 = Aim right on the deers back. You dont want to be to high up. I think im at 1" high at 100 yards.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Cossack17

Questions are:
1). Should I try to zero 2” high at 100 yards and see what is going happened at 200 yards?
#1 That depends on what kind of shooting conditions you encounter where you hunt or how you like to target shoot. If when hunting your shots are all over 100 yards and closer to 150 yards, then it might not hurt ot sight the rifle in according to what you would encounter. If all your shots are under 100 yards, then there is no reason to.

#2 Yes, I would get some 300 grain and see how they shoot as well. Although again, if all your shots are longer distance, then the 250 grain is a better projectile. At least you have a fall back load already.

Good shooting and don't have too much fun...
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Boost your charge to 135 grains, sight 3" high at 100, and you'll be about 3" low at 200.A little rise at 100 can make a big difference at 200.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Fork Horn

Going over 125 gr is above max for a loose load of ffg . My load is 120 ffg. 1" high at 100 yrds.
Charlie
Old 07-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cossack17

Shot about 45 rounds with my SS Omega today and so far the best load is 125grains FFG 777 with 250 grains Shockwave. Conceder some operator's errors the average came out as 1" high on 50yards, 0" on 100 yards about 1" low at 150 yards and about 9" low at 200 yards. I did not have too much time today to play with different loads/bullets.
Accuracy was excellent and I broke every clay pidgin from the first shot at 150 yards.
Questions are:
With my CF rifles I use the "3 over method", which is sight in 3" high at 100 yards and then your shooting thru a 6" pipe from 0 to about 250 with a .30-06, only difference with a ML is the range drops down from 0 to 175, in your case. If you want to shoot 200, you need to up your charge a bit (5 or 10g)and up your bullet to 3" high at 100 yards.I would go 8 clicks up and leave it,since the rifle is grouping excellent, this should only leave you7" low at 200, so you POAwould be right under the backbone, similar to what Frontier Gander said. You would aim dead on for anything between 0 and 175 I believe.

As for the 300g SW, I believe they are better based on this:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Savage&thre ad=1123448850&page=1

however if you go to a BONDED SW then you get this:
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Savage&thre ad=1130171708&page=1

SWs "tend" to shoot thru a deer with little or no expansion, however a .45cal hole thru a deer is a pretty big hole, wound channel is NOT huge with a SW.But as you experienced they are one accurate bullet, just be aware that your choosing accuracy over expansion. Best Wishes for this season. Chap Gleason

Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

"SWs "tend" to shoot thru a deer with little or no expansion,"

Says who? i have shot several dear with regular SW/SST bullets and all of them expanded. Ditto for the couple dozen hogs i have shot with them. Have never used bonded SST/SW, so i cannot speak on them.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

"SWs "tend" to shoot thru a deer with little or no expansion,"

Says who? i have shot several dear with regular SW/SST bullets and all of them expanded. Ditto for the couple dozen hogs i have shot with them. Have never used bonded SST/SW, so i cannot speak on them.
That is what I have read Falcon, not with what I have experienced myself, so that is my opinion based on reading threads on this forum. If your saying they expand all the time realiably then I must of course revise my thinking to say they "sometimes shoot completly thru with little or no expansion." Chap Gleason
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember that 100yds is not always the highest point of the trajectory, thats usually closer to 75 the way you are sighted in I would suggest a few shots at 75yds. I have an Omega and the 130 gr load is what shoots most accurate in it so thats what I use despite what some people think I believe accuracy ihas to be the overriding factor for long range. I have done a lot of experimenting and reading and have come to believe that while there are a lot of good projectiles out there that will do a quite good job that the outstanding ones [like the SW are better for both price and being capable of all around use. If you have many long shots I would recommend taking a look at the 50/40 200gr Shock Wave for normal usage [under 150 ]for deer the 250 SW is excellant for animals over 300# Iwould recommend the 300gr either SW or Speer Gold Dot.Lee
Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Remember that 100yds is not always the highest point of the trajectory, thats usually closer to 75 the way you are sighted in I would suggest a few shots at 75yds. I have an Omega and the 130 gr load is what shoots most accurate in it so thats what I use despite what some people think I believe accuracy ihas to be the overriding factor for long range. I have done a lot of experimenting and reading and have come to believe that while there are a lot of good projectiles out there that will do a quite good job that the outstanding ones [like the SW are better for both price and being capable of all around use. If you have many long shots I would recommend taking a look at the 50/40 200gr Shock Wave for normal usage [under 150 ]for deer the 250 SW is excellant for animals over 300# Iwould recommend the 300gr either SW or Speer Gold Dot.Lee
You would have to look at the trajectory using PointBlank or some other ballistics program. I agree the bullet would start to peak at 75 travel 75 to 125 say at the apex and then start downward pretty fast, usually that is how the curves are. Chap

Quick Reply: Sighting T/C Omega with Shockwaves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.