Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CLeaning Omega Breech Plug >

CLeaning Omega Breech Plug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CLeaning Omega Breech Plug

Old 11-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default CLeaning Omega Breech Plug

Any special way any of you clean your breech plug? Also, on my Omega,the face of the swinging breech is strating to show slight wear/discoloration. Is this normal wear on a two year old rifle? I always clean it as soon as I am done at the range or at the end of a a days hunting. I would say I have probably shot less than 100 rounds through it.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CLeaning Omega Breech Plug

Well, it somewhat depends on the other componants involved, I use the purple TC breach plug grease it appears to be water soluable because when I stick it under the hot water it cleans right up I use gun scruber on the touch hole then clean it with pipe cleaners. Lee
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Spike

I put my plug in a little vial of Rusty Duck Black Off when I pull it at the range and it's sparkly clean by the time I get home. I also use the tape method vs the anti seize so I don't have all the grease to deal with. My omega is also two years old and the swinging breach face shows some wear from the place it touches the primer and I've shot closer to 400 rounds.Post a pic of the discoloration if you can. Black off also does a great job of cleaning out the firing pin mechanism. Tom
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Any special way any of you clean your breech plug?"

i just spray it with Windex with vinegar and brush off the crud with an old toothbrush. Then use a pipe cleaner to clean the hole in the plug. The Windex with vinegar is slightly acidic and the powder crud is a base: Iteats it up right now.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

I use neversieze lube on the threads and either 777 or BM-3 powder.Winshield washer and alcohol clean the powder residue and a cotton rag wipes off the lube.I use a Q-tip in the cavities and compressed air to clear the flame channel. plug only finger tight-never had a problem siezing up. I am sure all that tape stuff works fine-I just find it to be too much trouble.

charlie