Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who's Ready!!

Old 07-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who's Ready!!

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

Well, 6 weeks, and I will be chasing mulies with my muzzle loader. Have a 16 day season, but only 4 1/2 days to hunt, but it should be a good time. First time chasing these guys with my muzzle loader, can't wait!!

Who else has muzzle loader hunts planned this fall?
we all know the feeling. i hunt bucks only. i hope you do to.there are not many like me left now here in pa. its all about killing a deer or doe now.our deer are almost gone because of that.i was raised as hunter.i killed doe when there was too many.but we never overharvested the doe. now here in pa. ITS BROWN ITS DOWN.i saw 4 doe last year on pipeline i was hunting .after i practiced squeezing trigger on those doe, i went out and they saw me and off they went.that was 4 doe that made it through the day,i hope through season.killing is not fun, trust me, been doing it for 50 years, 36 with muzzleoader.fun is learning what a buck/doe track is. fun is STALKING not sitting in tree all day.fun is hunting with friends.fun is telling story of the buck that GOT AWAY.kids today will never experience that.i guess you can say ,i am from the old school. we were all raised as hunters,we took pride in stalking that buck, how he got away or did not get away. how we waited to hunt him again next year with his 8 or 10 point rack.now it breaks my heart to see adult or kid dragging out a fawn.what are we turning into in this country and world. you can see terrible things happening to our lives and kids.it makes you sick to see what has happened to a great tradition here in state of pa.sadly, i see kids on corners of streets that are not interested in hunting. i saw kids/adults last year with 2 fawns on roof of their car driving around town. i almost threw up. thats our future now. oh well, good luck hunting and remember, save a doe for future and enjoy hunting.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

For this year I think I will use patched roundballs out of my 54cal Renegade on deer unless the weather gets really cold, then I will use some Buffalo Ball-ets or Hornady Great Plains. I am a little worried about the patch freezing to the bore. If I get a leftover elk tag I would like to buy that 58cal GM barrel. I put in for antelope muzzleoader this yearbutdid not get it so they gave mea General archery. Now I have one preference point for antelope. Next year I should draw my muzzleloader pronghorn. That will be really cool to shoot an antelope out on the prairejust like the plainsmen and mountain men did next year.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

charlie brown

October 10 - Nov 3 Rifle season, but I hunt it with an ML - I still havesome time to wait. But if they opened it tomarrow - I would not be really ready - but I would be ready....
Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM

I applied for the special early season muzzleloader hunts here in Ohio-Oct 23-28. Will find out September if I was chosen. This will be my first time out hunting with a muzzleloader
Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck doegirl.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Got drawn for muzzleloader antlerless elk in Arizona in November. Still have some time to check out the Omega and see if it still shoots the same. It is a little too hot here to shoot much as the November temperatures will be a lot cooler. I also have a new to me Huntsman this year which I may take to the range the same day to see if I like it better. The Omega has taken one elk so far but I am still sorting out bullets. Have a couple of Precision bullets to check out this year. My Omega is a little touchy on powder and refuses to shoot Tripple Seven without the crud ring. Black Mag'3 seems to be the powder mine likes.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Its Co for Elk, Sept 9th 9days ,There are just 2 of us this year and either one of usis in great shape. So we have to go to a different area than we usually go. I will have to give back my deer tag though as that is not good for the different area. We should be successful whether we get Elk or not.
Been practicing for quite awhile now. I am going to use my White U-M,last year I used an Omega and shot a bull butI like the White when shooting conical's
Redclub
Old 08-01-2006, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: quigleysharps4570

Good luck doegirl.
Thanks, Quigley