Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ready for elk

Old 06-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ready for elk

Well, took my CVA Bobcat to the range today, with some GOEX and 370 gr T/C Maxi-Balls.

I shot at 50 yards. You will see a flyer on the target. I will call that an honest mess-up on my part. After the four I shot here (with a watered down patch ran between each shot), I was able to put 3 more shots right where I aimed on my full size Delta elk target.

My load was 80 grains of Goex 2 f, and I figure I am getting around 1200 feet per second, and should be good to around 75 yards or so, as far as energy figures go.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ready for elk

That's some nice shooting there. And a good powerful load. Now all you need to do is get within 70 yards of an elk. Keep practicing. I think you might be on to something there. I shoot a .54 caliber Mountain Stalker which is the Bass Pro version of the Bobcat. My rifle does real well with 80 grains of Triple Se7en a wonderwad and a patched roundball. I have actually shot powerbelts out of the rifle and it did surprisingly well with them also.

Good luck on your elk hunt.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have some 350 Maxi Hunters and some 320 Maxi balls that I will shoot for the summer, plus some Buffalo Ball et's that I will shoot, with Pyrodex, and then the last week or so before the hunt, will practice one last time with a few of the bullets and Goex load I will hunt with. I have already put well over 200 rounds through it since I bought it, and am now on my 2nd set of aftermarket sights, that I put on last year, and finally found something I can hit with. BTW - this group rivals my best group I ever did, and that was about this good with 80 grains of RS and a patched round ball.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

This is a 5 shot group I shot the other day with my .58 caliber Green Mountain Barrel. The load was 100 grains of Goex 2f and a .570 (284 grain) moosemilk patched roundball. I was really having a good day. Then I got too sure of myself and wanted to push the group to 10 shots... Well the group fell apart. At this distance, I make a 8 with the front sight and the circle of the bullseye at the 50 yard line. I find that then when I move back to 100 yards, I use my modified hold and the rifle shoots them right in there rather nice.

I was not swabbing between shots. Also it was hot and humid. And I was really surprised when I did swab at the degree of fowling the barrel had in it. Normally this rifle does not fowl out too bad. It really was not loading all that bad except for the last 2-3 inches where I really had to lean on the loading rod to fully seat the charge. This would be the rifle and load I want to chase a elk, moose, hog, or one of the great bears with.

I should have been happy with the first part of the group...[:@] but I just had to push it... the last two shots were starting to show the degree of fowling. Also the rifle was kicking pretty bad that day. Renegades kick me for some reason. It might be the stock design. But when I shoot a strong load, I do get popped when I shoot it. Not so much in the shoulder, but the cheek. Anyway, I had a good group going into it....
Old 06-19-2005, 11:03 AM
BS

Glad to see that I am not the only one who writes down my load information a little screwy, or were you really shooting .530s out of your 58? I contribute it to 'mixlexia'
Old 06-19-2005, 11:09 AM
BS

" My rifle does real well with 80 grains of Triple Se7en a wonderwad and a patched roundball."

Add the wonderwad or some thick card stock [punched out to 50cal] under your bullet, it sometimes helps, especially with hotter loads. Also try 80 grains of 3F, it burns cleaner and groups better in some guns.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW.. I never noticed that until you mentioned it. I was shooting .570 Hornady roundball. Just prior to that I had been shooting my .54 caliber flintlockLyman Trade Rifle with .530 roundball. must have had one of them brain things.....[:@]

That's one reason I take a quick digital of the different targets and then file them in each rifles picture file. I can look back at different loads for the rifle at different distances and conditions and see what worked and what did not. I found it better then a note book. Then when I have a lot of information, I burn all that onto a CD and have almost an instant picture reference of how well the gun shoots and under what conditions....
Old 06-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BS

" My rifle does real well with 80 grains of Triple Se7en a wonderwad and a patched roundball."

Add the wonderwad or some thick card stock [punched out to 50cal] under your bullet, it sometimes helps, especially with hotter loads. Also try 80 grains of 3F, it burns cleaner and groups better in some guns.
The problem I was having was without the wonderwad the patches when using Triple Se7en were "Smoking" and I do me as in on fire. I added the wonderwad and all that went away. If this Mountain Stalker would shoot as well with any other powder I would use it, but with the T-7, wad and ball this rifle will really shoot.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:59 PM

Cayugad - it sounds to me like you have too many rifles
Old 06-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Roskoe...

Some others constantly tell me thesame thing but I have learned to ignor their opinion... In fact they tell me I never listen to them when they talk to me. To which I always say, "What was that you said?" It keeps things interesting that way,

You can never have too many rifles...

Quick Reply: Ready for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.