Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 It is Here!!!!  The White Ultra Mag >

It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It is Here!!!!

Rifle looks great!

Notice in the above pic how far forward I have to position my scopes? That one could stand being even bit further forward but I'm out of room, even after modifying the rear base.

This is an Underhose protector. I've since modified this designby cutting a semi-circular space so that it snugs up against the side turret cap. Then I install one of my special order vinyle cap covers.

Mike, Would you mind posting a close-up of those bases so I can see where the cross-slots are located?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Here you go - realizing you can turn either or both bases around and change the cross-slots...

Also remember I said the front base is to long so it is only secured with one screw - I really am not to concerned about that though as every thing is lock tight done with red lock tight.. it is not going to move...

Old 04-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you were to turn that rear base around, would extend over the action opening?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Took the scope off and looked - if you were to reverse the rear base it would hang over less the 1/8" maybe 3/32 of a inch. It measures 5/8" from the center of screw hole to rear of the base. I do not think it would hang over enough to bother anything and second thought with your skills it would be easy to grind it off flush. I will probably end up drilling and countersinking a third hole in the front base to match mounting hole. I really like the Warne base. In my mind I think it has tighter tolerances on the cross slots so they are tighter - than any weaver i were to get although I have some coming.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those Weavers you have coming are very likely made by Warne.

Okay, a lesson learned overnight. I had reassembled my UltraMag #2 and found the bolt was locked in the fired position. Went through several adjustments and exercises in stupidity until finally following the advice of a fellow owner. Turns out it is critically important that one installs the trigger FIRST during reassembly. Something for you guys to remember in case I forget.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I learned that same lesson the hard way also. The gun does not work otherwise. If you install the hammer, spring and lock bolt, then the triggething does not cock or fire. That small hook on the trigger has to slip into the hammer groove I believe. I put the breech plug back in with out the trigger installed but then the trigger has to go in next. Sometimes getting the hammer past the trigger assembly can be a pain, but it works nice then...
Old 04-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The odd thing is either that I had never installed the bolt first on any of my other Whites - or it simply isn't a problem with them. Somehow I think it must be the latter.