Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 It is Here!!!!  The White Ultra Mag >

It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: It is Here!!!!

SteveBNy

I am almost positive that it will shoot anything you want to put down it. the first bullets I am going to shoot out of it are going to be 10mm 200 grain XTP's. It really reminds me of the old Knight bores...

Not much use for big lead here in Idaho - do not need it for Whitetail and there are such better bullets for Elk that are legal to use here.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Email Doc about your parts needs. He's as reasonable as he possibly can be. I won't tell you what he charged me for a cap bolt (but it was nearly free).

If you are thinking of a peep in the future - one that might work on these rifles (a ghost ring actually) is the XS Sights 700 Remington backup sight that is built into a Weaver style base. Hole spacing would be correct and the contour should be extremely close. The ring sits very low though. A WGRS just doesn't adjust high enough with the rifle's standard front sight - I'm sure the 700 b/u sight would also be too low. XS Sights also makes alow Weaver style backup sight that should work with the current front sight. Pricey stuff though.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

I will e-mail him right now in fact I think I will call him....
Old 04-21-2006, 07:11 AM

Sabotloader - As others here have requested, kindly keep us posted on how that beast shoots. Both the lead hunkers and the sabots.

Between you and Cayugad very favorable reports, I think White's sales just went up 25%

Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a pity they aren't actually making rifles (maybe a few from old parts now and then). Doc White writes as if the company is still going to produce new rifles, but that may be more his wish than a reality. White Rifles (the company) is basically down to one guy and a couple of girls. It's my understanding one of the girls is doing minor gunsmith work.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunter John

All the sales credit should got to Underclocked - he is the one that pushed all the right buttons for me - then cayugad verified it...

I will test the heck out of it with small bullets - Cayugad and Underclocked have already tested it with big lead.

I will have some results this weekend, probably with open sights doublt my bases will make it here until next week. My only question right now is will the 1/24 twist versus the common 1/28 twist over stabilize these small projectiles???

UC

It's a pity they aren't actually making rifles (maybe a few from old parts now and then).
That is really a shame...

Here is my point, I am not ready to join the big lead guys yet... but if this gun shoots little lead as well as it shoots big lead - then it may be the best ML I have ever had - and believe me I have had quite a few looking for that "best one" and more importantly it would be the perfect gun for the ML rules we have here in the Pacific Northwest - we are not as advanced as you Easterners... with the smokeless - 209's - and scopes...

Gosh I can not wait for Saturday....

come-on-saturday get here quick....

UC - I was wrong the leupold that I have laying here is a 3x9x32 compact - now I am leaning back to it...

OH! just got an e-mail from doc with a suggested load.... everybody sit down this a shocker for little bullet people like me...

READY???

If you want a thrill, try 120 gr Pyrodex P and a 600 grain PowerPunch bullet at 200 yards on a rock, then shoot your Omega with a 250 gr. saboted bullet and three Pellets at the same rock. You will then appreciate why the hunters in the real black powder days used big bullets for heavy game. DOC

Can not even imagine this load.....

Old 04-21-2006, 09:28 AM

"If you want a thrill, try 120 gr Pyrodex P and a 600 grain PowerPunch bullet at 200 yards on a rock.."

Translation: If you want to experience the sensation of your rotator cuff being violently moved in a way the Good Lord never intended, try this load.

Nah, 115 gr of Pyro P would be my max load with a 600 gr hunker. Sheez, that's approaching 2 regular 50 cal maxiballs!

Wow....I gotta get me one of these!!!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

90 grains of Goex 3f and a 460 grain No Excuse Conical is plenty of punch. Believe me. I might even tone it down. After all, I only want to shoot deer, not water buffalo....
Old 04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doc gets a little crazy with his loads.

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/serv01.htm his monthly article (4 months in a year! )

Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

The laminate stock might not be the look you like, but I waxed it all up today and I think it looks pretty good... That Birchwood Casey Stock Wax worked really good.

Quick Reply: It is Here!!!! The White Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.