Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primers?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Primers?

Bawapp

I gotta say I would not use the product that way - not that some people do exactly as you do and do not have problems, and mind you I am NOT supersitious, but I really believe you should not temp fate. Using BB or Wonder Lube as you are it really might cause your problem over a period of time - especially if you carry the rifle via the sling or with the muzzle on an upward plain.

And yes I probally do use the BB incorrectly. I am swabbing the barrel with it, Is that wrong?
I had no problems with my old CVA doing this.
Let me share with you a couple of thoughts, if you are using it as bore swab it get caught in the lands and if forms a layer on the bore - now insert your PB as push the bullet down the skirt will shave and collect the excess off the walls and push it down on top of your load - the effect would even be worse if you were loading sabots. If you apply the BB or WL all the way down to the breech plug you are also dropping a deposit there also.

If you do wish to continue to swab with BB make sure to run a couple af dry patches and get as much out as you can after swabbing.

It would really be my suggestion that you do not swab with bb or wl. while using PB and a black powder sub. Instead clean you barrel - I mean really clean it strip it all the way down to the metal -pore boiling through the barrel - dry swab it dry. I usually put another step in here involving BB - but, for now skip it, insteadI think I would then apply a good quality Bore Solvent as directed on the label. Clean that out out then to clean white patches and then liberally apply a quality gun bore oil. After the barrel cools to room temp then dry swab it as dry as you can. Then do your thing. In between shots damp swab the barrel with something of your choice - spit will work, I use Windex, Cayugad has a famous mixture, there are ton of different things out there - but don't use BB or WL at this point.

Insterting and lubing the breech plug - I use tape if you use a grease try to keep it out of the bore - but popping 209's should take care of that.

I think if you are able to get all of this done - your groups will tighten and your gun will go off..

Best of luck - this all my theory(ies) you do what works for you...

Old 12-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Primers?

I will put your advice to use. I have already cleaned the barrel throughly with solvent then JB-paste. It is clean as new. I will put the BB away and start over. Once again, Thanks for your help.