Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking into BP rifle, and need help >

Looking into BP rifle, and need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking into BP rifle, and need help

Old 11-03-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Looking into BP rifle, and need help

I have been considering going BP for our firearms season. Right now I am using a 12ga slug gun, and want to get away from $3/round ammo and I want a little more reach. If I stay with a slug gun, I am going to have to drop some serious dough to get any more range, but still have high price for ammo. With my slug gun now, I will not shoot past 125 yards. These lightfield slugs work great out to that distance, but fall quickly after it. I used to own a BP rifle, but a lot has changed in the past ten years. What brands should I look for, and which ones should I steer clear of? I would like to keep rifle cost below $400 if at all possible. Should I get a .45, or a .50 caliber? I would like to be able to shoot out to 200 yards if possible. Does one caliber have a distinct advantage over the other? This rifle will be strictly used for deer hunting, nothing else. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for an info.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Looking into BP rifle, and need help

That's a long reach with a muzzleloader. Sounds like you need an inline job capable of handling up to 150 gr of powder. I'm a side lock guy so I'll leave this one for the inline guys.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 PM

For what state, what season. Regulations vary too much to give you an answer.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Well, According to the IDNR I have to use a 50 caliber muzzleloader. It says projectile must be a minimum of .44 caliber. That means the .45 is out of the question.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 PM

For what state, what season. Regulations vary too much to give you an answer.
I live and hunt in Illinois. Like I said, .45 is out of the question. So that leaves the .50. Can it do what I am looking for, or should I expect less?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

you could shoot .45cal conicals........so dont say .45cal is out........i know nothing about long range or high powered muzzleloaders.......i make my smoke with a flintlock...and keep my shots close...id read about inline muzzleloaders and maybe the new savage that shoots smokeless powder....not sure how that ranks with the power and velocity???some will know alot more then us sidelock guys........but while you wait you can check out some inlines and maybe the savage if smokeless powder is legal in your state.......figure out your exact regulations so these guys can help you more.....alot of states have diffrent laws...no sabots.....no smokeless powder......traditional guns only ....scopes...sights...ect ect........good luck.......
Old 11-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Thanks. We can use smokeless powder, inline rifles, sabots, scopes, and 209 primers. I'll keep reading and researching this to see if it a path I want to take.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Thompson Omega Z5 or Thompson Encore 209. These guns are safe with 3 777 pellets or 130 grains of loose powder, probably a little more.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Thanks. We can use smokeless powder, inline rifles, sabots, scopes, and 209 primers. I'll keep reading and researching this to see if it a path I want to take.
Just because of what your allowed, you might want to condsider a Savage ML10 which can shoot smokeless powder. Also they are well known for the accuracy.

In fact Randy Wakeman I believe lives in the same State as you and is an authority on the Savage rifle. He can answer most any question you would have. As for accuracy with them it is exceptional and scoped, your range is as good as your willing (with in reason) to practice to. I have read of them making 300 yard shots with them.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Thanks for you input guys. I appreciate it. I'll look into the Thompsons, and Savages.

Quick Reply: Looking into BP rifle, and need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.