Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

670 yard Mule Deer

Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
You seem to have convinced yourself that anyone who likes to get close does so because they can't shoot at distance. Wrong.
It's personal preference. Pretty simple idea.......... eh?
fine with your preference, but belittleing others because they choose a different way has nothing to do with preference. in the right conditions I also shoot close, but choosing to take a long shot doesn't make me wrong.
If folks truly understand what makes it work, then they would understand that its not nearly as hard as they act like it is and wouldn't be crying foul about every post about long range hunting.
any keyboard commando can state they could kill game at 700 yards if they want to, I can talk to them 5 minutes and know if they have the grasp on ballistics to do it, but I'm just a fool.
RR
Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

...Deleted by CalHunter... RR, assuming what you post isn't just flaming to get a rise out of someone. I play along because there isn't anything better to do at the moment.

Just this morning I sat watching a group of pronghorns across a little valley at what was probably at least 550 yards. Didn't have my laser ranger with me so that's a guess. There was a cross wind strong enough to make it hard to keep a hat on. I thought to myself that if only RR was here he could shoot that herd buck right through the lungs.

...Deleted by CalHunter...

I tried to get close enough for a mere mortal to make a shot but alas, I failed and the critters scampered away unharmed. Lucky for them ...Deleted by CalHunter... wasn't there.

Last edited by CalHunter; 10-21-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Insulting other members and rules violations
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I hope you're hunting unit 55 in 1st rifle season? 2nd or 3rd season is OTC, and a real zoo over there. Even the wilderness areas will be full of outfitters.

I'm right next to the unit. The 4th picture down. Unit 55 is right over that ridge.

In my unit we have only 75 muzzleloader hunters. In the rifle seasons we have almost 900. I won't ever hunt rifle seasons again.

Still hunting only works when no other hunters are around.

Although I never worried about long range hunters, because they can't see into my timber. They'll be up on some ridge with a spotting scope glued to their head.
Last time I hunted it, was second season, some years ago. Lot of Texan fourwheelers cruising the forest roads then. Gunnison guide service ran a mule train up to the top of the ridge in the wilderness area. I hunted close to the south flank pretty high up and came into elk there and no other hunters back then. You must be working the unit just to the east?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, i'm in 481. I live in Buena Vista.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Kind of what I thought, the ridge looked vaguely familiar as I was out that way labor day weekend. You know Casa Del Sol I take it? We're due east of you a couple of hours then. We'll probably put in for tags next year, which I keep saying every year,lol. Next year I think we will at least try to get some tags in a different season or unit. We'll be playing it by ear.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

the thing you have to be careful of by saying that it's too far and you should be getting in closer to give them a sporting chance. An archery or muzzleloader hunter could say well where is the challenge in getting within 200 yards and pointing your gun straight at the animal without having to stalk right in and compensate for distance. Hunting is hunting, I do everything from archery to long range and love them all for their own reasons. There are enough anti hunters taking us down without bickering among ourselves
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

Don't worry jp, all this bickering amongst ourselves means nothing. We all stand together against the antis. If I were in a room with two other people, one an anti and one a long ranger like I've been arguing with here, I stand firmly with my brother the long ranger, period, all little differences aside.

And to reiterate my earlier point, by trying to stalk close I'm simply giving myself the highest possible odds for a sure shot and a clean kill. In my personal code of ethics I owe that to the animal I hunt.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 10-23-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of my best friends is a long range hunter. I rag on him for doing it, and he rags on me for being a still hunter. That's what guys do.

It's no big deal, and we're still best friends.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's simple. Nobody should be taking a really long shot, period, end of argument.

Notice that "long" is a relative term? There's to "long" for the weapon, be it a recurve, compound, shotgun, muzzleloader, rifle etc. and to "long" for the guy holding the weapon.

To you guys getting "close" at 200 yards, for me where I hunt that's as good as a country mile, the amount of places I can see 200 yards is almost nothing. In fact to find a gun range in this area with more than 125-150 yard range is pretty rare!

It's all relative. Nobody should shoot from "to far". Where that's defined by 1) Your skills and 2) the limits of your weapon.

Stay inside both of those and more power to you!

I'd love to learn long range shooting, I'd probably never need it in New England, but it would be fun to learn!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Another sensible voice heard from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.