Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Backpacking/Bivying in

Old 08-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Backpacking/Bivying in

Just wondering if anyone backpacks/bivis into there early season hunting spot?If so? Whats on your list of necessities?

Some of mine include:

Dehydrated food

Backpacking stove(ultra lightweight)

Purifying water pump/bottle

Rope,tent,knives,etc.

What do you think????
Old 08-04-2003, 08:56 AM

Default RE: Backpacking/Bivying in

Glob looks like you have a pretty good start.
Are you experienced at backpacking in and just wanting to compare lists
or are you just getting into it and trying to make sure you have everything.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Noway.....

Yes I am fairly experienced.Just looking for info from others that might hunt this way.Lighter,easier to carry,duel purpose.I may be experienced at many things but never an expert and info from others is always appreciated!!!!

I believe it' s the best way to hunt.But definitly not the easiest!!![X(]

How about you?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:27 AM

Glob,
I do agree. Nothing like that feeling you get when you are backpacking by yourself 10 miles into the middle of nowhere and it is getting dark.

I like to go light. I do not cook, no stove no gas. I find when I get back to camp at night all I want to do is climb in the rack. I never have a fire either.

Usually have a bagel for breakfast or a couple granola bars, then nuts, power bars, candy bars, apples, breakfast bars. Yeah this diet gets old after a few days but it is really easy and light.

I do always take a small tent weighs about 3 1/2 pounds, I have gone without it a few times and I just feel more comfortable in a tent. Lightweight foam ground pad, small backpacking pillow. Daypack comes along, at least two flashlights and a headband, waterfilter, couple water bottles, only fill one if I am around lots of water. I strap my rifle in its soft carry case on the back of my pack vertically with bunjee cords, that way keeps my hands free.

Main thing is to know you are backpacking into an area where you will not be joined opening day by the four wheeler, motorcycle, horse guys. Otherwise you have just made a long hike for nothing.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:33 PM

Last time I used my bivi was scouting goats in the Cascades. I lost the trail just above tree line in a snow & sleet storm and had to set it up and hunker down for the night. It probably would' nt have been so bad if I had' nt put on so many miles and so many vertical feet that day. Trying to get into something dry and into my bag in that little thing can produce some HORIBLE cramps after a day like that. I think anything in 10 miles could hear the screaming. It kept me dry though, good thing because my water bottle froze solid that night and I had to chip the ice off the bivi in the morning. I have had an aversion to the thing since then though.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

More recently I' ve started using a Butane Gas stove.
The model I have is a Titanium made by Kovea, it weighs next to nothing and fitted on a small cylinder, I get 4 days cooking. It is quick & easy.
I eat drink & cook out of one utensil, which is a large tin mug.
Freeze dry meals are light and taste good. They only take 10 minutes to prepare. Ideal for when you are spent after a hard days hunting.
I frequently use a Goretex bivvy sack (Sleeping bag cover.) Thermarest 3/4 sleeping pad, and sometimes a light tent fly.
I often use a lightweight 4 seasons sleeping bag. It only has down on one side and you can fit your thermarest into a sleeve on the ground side. (Warm even in the snow.)
Not too many extra clothes, just a dry set of polypropolenes to sleep in.
I try to travel real light and fast. Save the energy/weight for hauling home the meat.
Hope some of this info is useful.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Tim,

About the burner. Last year I used Sterno and it took forever.Bought one of the ultralite ones like you mentioned.How long do one of those canisters last?

Happy Trails

Bill

Old 08-07-2003, 11:09 AM

now if you want to shave a few extra pounds out of that pack id suggest dumping the water pump and using purification tablets. thatll save you at least 2bls. second id ditch the stove and go with MRE' s. i know some of them are terrible tasting but you can get some that arent all that bad. they have a self heating device so all you need to do is add water to them to activate it. you could also dump the tent and go witha bivy sack. id only do that if the weather isnt going to be to drastic. if you want some extra ideas check out Cameron Hanes website. he has a DIY section on there where he lists some of his back country gear.

www.crhpublishing.com

he definately knows his stuff. and dont be afraid to email him. hes very good at responding to them quickly.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Here' s a link to the stove I use

http://www.kiwicamping.co.nz/Kovea/d...rns&kovea=show

Have found it an awesome little performer.

Uses (I think) about 120g of gas per hour. A cannister lasts about 2 hours total burn time.
I can heat a pint of water to boil in about 7 minutes. So I easily get 3-4 days cooking (3 times a day) e.g. Freeze dry meals, hot drinks, noodles etc.
The entire setup including cannister weighs just over 300 grams (About 1/2 pound.)
Works for me. Reliable & had no ignition problems.