Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Canadian Outfitters - Your thoughts on the US meat ban >

Canadian Outfitters - Your thoughts on the US meat ban

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Canadian Outfitters - Your thoughts on the US meat ban

Old 07-28-2003, 12:59 PM
DL2

Default Canadian Outfitters - Your thoughts on the US meat ban

I know many cannot speak for themselves right now regarding this issue due to reprisals - but I am very curious as to what you feel about persons wanting to cancel thier hunt, persons wanting thier money back, the ban in general, etc.

Discretion is assured, please email me at [email protected]

Old 07-28-2003, 07:47 PM
nub

Default RE: Canadian Outfitters - Your thoughts on the US meat ban

Lets let the good folks at hunting net know how Robbi feels about Americans hunting in Canada.
The Canadian Outfitters get screwed over by the good ole US of A.
People should be ashamed for even thinking about asking for a refund.
My thoughts are if you booked before the ban, then you should live with it. Your governments at fault not the outfitters.
All this over one cow, and hey maybe the Canadian outfitters should team up with the US outfitters in Wisconsin.....no refunds but pay the balance and get a " trophy" deer trip there!
If I was an outfitter Mr. American (editted) from Iowa would never book a trip with my outfit again (sorry I' m full), and I would spread the word around to my outfitting buddies.
Or is this happening already?
Cos, it' s an open board, the Canadian outfitters are being screwed over by a US policy/ignorant persons, cos some of you deserve it, this fall in New Mexico.

Anything else you wanna know, DH?
I will speak for many outfitters who can' t speak at this time - until this is over and you try and rebook.
I tell it like is Shane - you don' t like it, apply for a green card and leave.
Can you find the border Shane, it' s south man - go south!
Oops, that was a reply to a fellow countryman.[:' (]
If the truth causes a rift then so be it. I am not going to turtle cos I get a few Americans upset - where have you been for the past few months with all the anti-Canadian sentiment? I call a spade a spade.
These Outfitters work hard and spend lots of money throughtout the year making sure everythings " just right" . For the majority of these Outfitters, half of the money that these hunters send in is already spent.
It' s really disgusting what I am seeing and hearing from some of the Outfitters - some have even cut/pasted some email they have recieved.
Now then, how many outfitters out there want ole DL2 as there spokesman?[:' (]
Old 07-29-2003, 04:55 AM
DL2

Well, who says I want to be a spokeman - quite frankly, you jumped the gun haven' t you?

I am gathering information for a soon to be realeased article - if you should know. Many Outfitters are quite unhappy with the USDA' s decision and many are unhappy with persons asking for thier money back. These posts of mine have fueled much debate and opened up many feeling from both sides of the fence. There is method to my madness.

Right at this point, I have recieved twenty three emails from Canadian Outfitters pretty much all saying ths same thing. I have recieved forty two emails from US hunters with mixed views and thirty seven emails from Canadian hunters.

My personal feelings are what they are. I don' t hold back my friend, and if you don' t like it, too bad for you. I like freedom of speech and this country had prided itself on that and I will not bow to anyone - this is why my writings sell, and this is why I get lots of email support from lots of individuals located around the world.

Let' s try not to qoute out of text either, if your going to do this, be a man and print the entire thread for everyone to see...or will that shallow your point/arguement?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:25 AM
ARO

i have a hunt booked in canada next year, and if the band is still on, i would expect either to transfer my hunt dates to another time when the ban is over, or get my money back. it not the hunters fault that the us implemented this ban, and if the outfitter has not rendered any service yet, why would he have a problem with giving a refund, you know if he gave a refund, hunters would book with him again.
now on the other hand if the outfitter said too bad its your own governments fault and i' m not giving any refunds, i have a feeling that he would lose alot of future business from me and every single other hunter i ever talk to!!

ARO
Old 07-29-2003, 08:24 AM
DL2

Thanks for the input ARO. Most of the email I have recieved are from Outfitters are " transfering" the hunt until the ban ends.

I think this is a win-win situation for all.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:21 PM
nub

Heres the entire thread. Let them decide. http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/TF/th...es=51&forum=15
Old 07-29-2003, 06:19 PM

Here' s my .02:
If some one has, in good faith, booked a hunt and made a timely deposit, then the hunter deserves to protected as does the outfitter. I know that most outfitters use deposit money to support thier ongoing business and don' t just have it sitting in a bank account till hunting season. The ban is something that is beyond the control both parties control. As such I feel that if the outfitter can make a refund and the hunter wants it great! If the outfitter cannot make a refund then the only other reasonable option in my mind is reschedule for another year. Any outfitter that thinks they are due the a forfieture of the refund because the US Gov' t placed the ban is out of line. Rescheduling for another year winds up in the outfitter providing that the service that the hunter paid for only a year later. Its a win for everyone.

This ban is going to lift, it' s only a matter of time. There is so much politics involved now with the Japanese gov' t and god knows who else getting involved. I have a hunt booked in Sask. for Sept and my outfitter has been working closely with me in watching this issue. He gave me the option of a refund or reschedule for next year. I am going to roll the dice and hope the ban is lifted. I am making arrangements to cold store the choice cuts and have found some places to donate the remainder of the meat (moose) in the event that the ban doesn' t lift.

Old 07-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Here' s my 1 1/2 cents. I too have a moose hunt booked for this fall in Ontario. I know that the ban is still in existance, but I am still going on my hunt. Why? Well, first you have to worry about actually shooting a moose. I have been on 3 moose hunts now, and havent shot a moose yet.[:' (] Whats to say I will shoot one this year? Maybe the ban will not have an effect on me. I eat everything I kill, and I REALLY want to eat my moose if I am fortunate enough to kill one, but, let' s not put the cart before the horse.
I have heard some pretty heated arguments on this topic in the last 2 months, and I have some pretty strong feelings about it as well, but dont go pointing fingers at the hunters that cancel due to the ban, and dont point fingers at the governments for doing what they feel is right. Hopefully the ban will be lifted before hunting seasons start opening. If not, I know some people in Ontario that will be eating some good moose meat until the ban is lifted, and I am able to go pick up my meat.

Hey Nub, how much extra vacation time will be required for us to eat 2 moose if the ban isnt lifted? My wife said that due to the ban, she is gauranteeing that I kill a moose this year.[>:][>:]
Old 07-30-2003, 07:17 AM
nub

My wife said that due to the ban, she is gauranteeing that I kill a moose this year.
I think I' ll keep that part of the hunt from my wife. Yes, that will be just our luck tho. We' ll each kill a moose and have to wait for a return trip for the meat. I hear the icefishing is pretty good up there. Might as well do something while I' m up there picking up my meat after the ban is lifted. [:-]
Old 08-04-2003, 06:37 PM
DL2

Here is some food for thought on the subject from a prominent Canadian Bow Outfitter:

" Upon booking the trip, did the brochure or website (or any outfitters webistes or brochures), say anything regarding the topic of meat (proper), or is it just hunting, accommodations, guides, price, etc? The hunt is what they (the US Hunter), has paid for and the Canadian Outfitters are coming through for them, are they not? The US hunters should realize that it' s thier own country who is banning them from bringing the meat back. The outfitter is coming through for them with the hunt, accommodations, meals, guides, etc - Basically everything that was in the brochure or website."

Many Canadian Outfitters are now re-thinking thier refund policies to something like: " no refunds of deposits or balances for any reason" .

Personally, I' ll call this the " knob clause" . DL2

Quick Reply: Canadian Outfitters - Your thoughts on the US meat ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.