Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

backpacking food?

Old 08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default backpacking food?

I know this question has made the rounds before, but haven't seen it in awhile. What do you take backpacking for food. Here is a parial list of what we take:

Dehydrated foods, good but expensive, just add water and stir: nothing to clean up.
bread rolls (doesn't matter if it gets squashed)
instant oatmeal
granola bars
power bars/gel
candy bars

What would you add to this list?

What would you add to this list if packing in on horses?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: backpacking food?

On your back:
Beef jerky
Kellogs or Familia brand Mueslix dry cereal (serve with rehydrated dry milk)
GORP: mix of bulk granola, peanuts, rolled oats, almonds, raisins, chopped dried fruits,
sunflower seeds, and M&Ms
Cheddar cheese and rye crisp
Lipton's brand pasta dinners or noodle side dishes
Dried packaged soups
Old 08-10-2004, 02:49 PM

I eat a lot of bagels. If you get the right brand, I get Thomas brand, they are not dry and you can just stuff them in your pockets.
They have a lot of calories.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

One item I liked when backpacking was ramin noodles. Very light, cheap, cooks fast and tastes good. I would crush them and and repackage them in baggies to keep the bulk down.
And if packing in on horses steaks and beer of course.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:21 PM

Peanut Butter!!!

Its very cheap and very caloric. Its a bit heavy, but a lot of calories per oz.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I noticed alot of ya`lls stuff has to have water added so im wondering, how much water do ya`ll carry? or do you just find a stream or something?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pack in enough water to get me to my campsite. I then use a MSR water filter to obtain drinking water ($75 at Cabelas). Just have to know a water source near your camping area.

I had forgotten a nut mix, that is a really good one too as well as peanut butter. And beef jerkey, how could I forget! Bagels and pasta too. Good ones guys, keep um coming.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to just go to the grocery store before I go hunting if i have some time and just wonder the isles looking for ideas
Old 08-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Power bars are a good quikie and they make them where they actually taste good now. Sometimes you have a destination to make by a certain time and rather than stop, the power bars are great for a temporary quik fix while enroute. When hunting with a pack/ gear and equipment its easy to burn 3-4 hundred calories an hour and I pack away the gatoraide also and drink up to 6 quarts a day depending on conditions. Not only does it help in replacing body fluids but also helps in muscle spasms such as charlie horses, something you young whipper snappers think happen to other people. A good ole p/j sandwich is loaded with protein as well as a banana/peanut butter sandwich. I keep it in a tupperware container to keep scent away from the critters and especially from the ole griz. Good luck, Bobby
Old 08-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Minute rice. Add a package of dry soupmix, boiling water in 5 minutes you have a great meal. I put this in a quart nalgene bottle with a screw on lid.

Quick Reply: backpacking food?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.