Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Backpacking Stove >

Backpacking Stove

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Backpacking Stove

Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 AM

Default Backpacking Stove

Mountain Safety Research’s Pocket Rocket is known throughout the backpacking community as one of the best packable stoves on the market – and for good reason! Weighing in at just over 3-ounces, this little gem is capable of boiling a full liter of water in in under three and a half minutes. Utilizing MSR’s IsoPro fuel, a mixture of 80/20 isobutane and propane, this concoction burns clean to reduce soot and leave your stove clog free. No longer must we worry about priming the stove before its use. Simply screw the Pocket Rocket onto the threaded opening of the fuel canister, turn the knob enough to allow the fuel to flow through the stove, and ignite. Now we’re cookin’!

Having never previously used a stove this compact, I was leary of igniting it indoors. A myriad of possible scenarios went through my head while walking outside before first screwing the stove onto the fuel canister; all colorful and none too happy. However, this was not the case as I soon found out. Using this stove is literally as easy as 1, 2, 3.

1.) Screw the stove onto the canister.
2.) Turn the knob to allow the fuel to flow through the stove.
3.) Cook.

If space is a concern, as it is for most of us when packing for an extended trip into the woods, the Pocket Rocket leaves nothing to be desired. It is compact enough that it fits into the palm of your hand and folds up nicely to fit into a container provided by MSR.

I honestly couldn’t be happier with this purchase. If you’re in the market for a lightweight, compact and easy to use stove, the Pocket Rocket from Mountain Safety Research is a must-have.

Edit* My bad. I meant for this to be in the product review forum. Move as you see fit, Mods.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backpacking Stove

Wash, I've had an MSR stove since way before you were born. It's the original one that will burn anything flammable. The obvious problem with the butane models is at altitude or very cold conditions the butane doesn't work as well as gasoline/with the pressure pump. MSR makes a great product, someday I may need to recondition mine. I wonder if they still make the kits for my model?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

good post wash....they are very nice and very light...if you go for more then just a few days in the backcountry make sure you bring a couple fuel canisters
Old 01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

It is an excellent stove in that it is lightweight and compact. Has always been reliable as well.

The obvious problem with the butane models is at altitude or very cold conditions the butane doesn't work as well as gasoline/with the pressure pump
Can't speak for the "very cold" but I have used mine for the last 5-6(?) years at around 11,500 feet without a problem.

if you go for more then just a few days in the backcountry make sure you bring a couple fuel canisters
Better to be safe than sorry, but there is also the consideration of weight when backpacking. I have used the stove for up to 8 days for 1 meal at night for 3 people and coffee in A.M. and have never even come close to using an entire canister.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 PM

It's a great stove but don't plan on bringing one here and being able to find fuel for it. Better stick with something that burns gasoline, white gas or propane if you plan on doing a lot of travel to remote regions. Sucks to fly in somewhere and find out that they're out of butane or don't ever carry it in town. That's why I'm still using my 22 y/o Whisper Lite (same as Dr. Andy is referring to).
Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best white gas packable stove I know if is the SVEA stove. Dad used one in AK in the 70's and we now own 3-4 of them. These things are great a fuel is readily avalible. Overall it my seem heavier but when you cosider it is all in one (pot, stove, fuel canister) it isn't bad. I look for alternatives and haven't found much to compair to it.

Check out the pic. not sure on the total weight but add all the extras that go with others and you'll find them close to the same.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Been using the Pocket Rocket for a quite a few years and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I've never had problems finding fuel but I usually bring my supply of fuel with me (no airlines however).

The other one that I think is great is the jet boil all in one. Its so simple and all right there. But except for boiling water and dehydrated meals, it does not have alot of uses. If I knew i was eating all dehydrated, the jetboil would be my choice.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My friends would laugh if I asked them to come with me to buy a "pocket rocket". I do need a new stove, though.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

My friends would laugh if I asked them to come with me to buy a "pocket rocket". I do need a new stove, though.
$40, can't ask for a better buy.

My friends laughed too. Then there were mom jokes.

Kids these days.

Quick Reply: Backpacking Stove

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.