Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

backpacking tent

Old 05-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default backpacking tent

I am looking for a backpacking tent for 2 people. I usually figure how many people you want to sleep and add one to get the correct tent size, so that probably means a 3 person tent. I am however looking at Cabelas Boundary Waters tent for 2 people. Its floor size is 8' x 5' (40 square ft) so it may actually have enough room for 2 people and some gear. Anyone used one of these tents? Good/bad? Other suggestions. Was hoping to stay below $300. This tent will probably only be used once every 2-3 years, but one time getting wet is too many.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: backpacking tent

Sportsmans Guide frequently carries a 2 person bivy style if weight and size are a concern . Their Camping catalog for this year has numerous styles of these and other tents at very reasonable prices . The website is: sportsmansguide.com[:-]
Old 05-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: backpacking tent

Tx, I try and spend a few days each month during the spring and summer loafing around in the forest. I have several different tents, and your right, Figure on about twice the " rated" size tent for real use.

I usually back pack alone, so I use a two man tent for myself, but I use a four man tent if someone goes with me.

I' m not familiar with the tent you mention, But I would like to mention something about tents in general.

I' m not an R.E.I. fan in general, they seem to be kind of a " yuppy" outfit...But they sell the best tents around. They are light weight and pretty durable. My two man tent weighs in at about three and a half pounds, and the four man weighs in around eight. But when your team packing, you can distribute that weight by dividing the tent to one person, and the rods with the other person.

I don' t recall the web site exactly, it' s something like rei.com, but if thats not it, a simple word search will get you to the right place.

Of equal importance is a good roll up self inflatable air mat. They weigh less than a pound, and are invaluable in rocky areas.

I hope that helps...I also tend to roll up a good sized trash bag with my tent, it makes a good " door mat" so you don' t bring the woods in with you on your shoes at night.

If your just " camping" and weight is not really a concern, and your only gonna use it once in a blue moon, it' s my opinion that just about any old kind of tent will work.