Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backpacking Question

Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Backpacking Question

I am considering buying a climbing treestand. Usually I walk from my vehicle approximately 3/4 to 1 mile to where I hunt with a backpack full of clothes,etc. How do you carry a both a backpack and a climbing treestand plus your weapon that far? I'm not concerned about the weight, but the arrangement of the load.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backpacking Question

Bungee cord it to the stand
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Carry a minimal amount of stuff. Decide what is absolutely necessary and use bungees like JimPic said. I have a viper and I bought 2 side bags that strap in between the uprights. I usually carry my gun, and strap everything else to my stand. If I am hunting a remote area for a few days and going in and out I leave my stand and gorilla lock it to a tree. Then when I pull out of there I pack it back out.

What kind of stand do you use? My viper weighs 17 pounds, which is bearable, but those lone wolf stands are lighter. I would loveto test one, but I won't buy it just to try it. I wish these manufacturers or cabelas would have some treestand days where you could go and try different stands and evaluate them for noise, weight, ease of use etc.

Knock one down.
T.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM

Try to minimize the stuff you carry and get one of them hunters fanny pack things. They hold quit a bit.