Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado unit 56 bow Elk?

Old 06-02-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Colorado unit 56 bow Elk?

I just drew an either sex archery elk tag for CO unit 56 near Salida, has anyone hunted this area before? This is my first elk hunting trip ever, I am a flatlander from Central NY. My father and I will be hunting together, he has hunted Elk before in New Mexico, and Idaho, but not CO. Is there a certain elevation to look for elk at, we will be there hunting from Sept 5th-Sept 12th? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-03-2003, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Colorado unit 56 bow Elk?

drop me an email maybe I can help you out
[email protected]
Old 06-03-2003, 11:43 PM

While I have never hunted unit 56, I can offer a few suggestions. First is be in good, no great shape. You will be in some steep, high country. I would also get to the area a few days early to acclimate to the altitude. Salida is a wonderful little town and would be a good stopping point for a few days before heading up the mountians. As for what elevation, it will most likely be warm during that time, so the big guys will look for cool places to hide, such as high elevation and the dark timber. North sides of the ridges is a good place to start. I hope this helps and if I can be of any other help, I will be happy to try.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:02 AM

Deerhunter10,
I hunted unit 56 two years ago. There were places that were flat and easy. There were places that were fricking straight uphill for a long ways. You get to decide where you hunt. Most of the locals road hunt exclusively. We did not. I walked all day and usually hunted at least 4 miles from a road. It was really, really hard work. Every two days or so, we headed in to the hot springs on Chalk creek to clean up and soak for a bit. It was excellent and I highly recomend it. You should also have no problems finding good, north facing slopes to work. Plenty of good elk habitat there. I will likely hunt there again in the future.

Bill the Dog
Old 06-13-2003, 10:34 AM

Thank you for the help everyone. I know my question was pretty general but you have all given me some good info to start with. Bill were you or anyone you hunted with able to harvest an elk? Did you see or hear many bulls, and if so how big did they average? I am planning on setting up a base camp to hunt out of as far from the roads as I can, probably 3 miles minimum. I have heard that most locals hunt very close to the roads and I would like to avoid competition by getting back in, even if it adds some hard labor to my hunt. I was also thinking of bringing my flyrod along, do any of the streams in the back country hold many trout? Thank you for all your help it is truly appreciated.
Smitty