HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2009 spring bear hunt
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2009 spring bear hunt

The hunt went as planned. I sat with a new hunter and he said if a bear I wanted to take came in I could shoot first and if wasn't one I would take then he3 could shoot. Easy I said. We had a bear come in around 9pm and it took about 15min to travel the last 80yds to the bait. It came in from behind my hunting partner(Terry) and in front of me. We set the stands so that we could look behind each other and we could communicate with hand signals when bears were close by. I decided it wasn't one I was willing to shoot on the first day of the season so signaled to him that her could shoot if he wanted. It was a 5' plus bear prolly 200 or so pounds. It stopped about 25yds in front of me and 30yds behind Terry. I could see him start to shake with excitement........ the bearpositioned itself to take a #2 and then came in a few more steps. It layed down and started to groom its paws. As it stood and started to make its way closer to the bait Terry coughed...... he has mild allergies..... and the bear took off like a bat out of hell.It ran about 100yds and stood there in a thicket looking our way trying to figure out what could have made the noise....... we waited until it was completed black out to climb down and walk out.
Terry and I had a blast! It was his first ever hunt and he his hooked 4 life. He was so excited just to see a bear. I told him next time he has to take his antihistimenes...... and laughed at him. I sure am glad it wasn't a big boar...... or I would have been pissed. Anyways it was a great time and I think he is comfortable enough to sit by himself on the next hunt. I can only hope he can be a little more quiet when the time is at hand..... LOL
Ticks and mosquitos weren't that bad but they were there. I had one tick on me and got one skeeter bite.The peak is yet to come up here. The bears are moving around but not feeding to heavy so its just a waiting game. I think I'll wait till next week or maybe 2 weeks to hunt again.