Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best unit in Colorado

Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best unit in Colorado

True, but when someone with 2 posts comes on here and asks this question without giving any info about HIS favorite units, you kind of figure it is just a fishing expedition. After all, application time is upon us!

Course he has to remember that he could get misdirection too!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Spike

Hunted Norwood area...............anywhere betwwen Rifle Meeker Craig........and North ofGunnison.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Spike

My father in lawbought a condo in winterpark a couple of years ago and we have been up there snowskiing a couple times but we're planning on hunting there in early september. This will be the first time I have ever hunted in colorado. It just seems all the talk I see on here talks bad about it and suggests going to another state. I'm just trying to get some info to try and get my hopes up a little. Thats why I said "PUT SOME SUCCESS STORIES IF YOU HAVE ANY". You don't have to put a unit or you can make one up it don't matter to me. I was more or less looking for a little positive feedback.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A post like your last one, if you had posted it first would have gotten you a lot better response. Just tell people where you are coming from, as you did in your last post, and people (even ones like me) will probably respond. You can't believe how many people there are that come on here and other web sites and just want something for nothing. Your first post simply sounds like someone looking for a handout. Your second doesn't.

Your original post asks for specific units. Some people don't mind giving out specific units, and that is fine, but the one I hunt is crowded enough. If I recommend it and show photos of a successful hunt on an open forumand several thousandpeople see it and even 100 decide to go there with a couple offriends, that is a couple of hundred more hunters in my favorite area. However, for friends that I have met and come to know through websites like this can find out about it from me any time. All I am saying is it takes time to develop relationships anywhere to find out the kind of info you asked for.

That said, there are always detractors from any state, but Colorado offers several things that other states don't. First, they have more elk than any other state. Second, many areas offer over the counter tags, not so most other states. I would start on the Colorado DOW website and research the units around Winterpark. There are some good areas nearby. You can research hunter numbers and success rates and numbers of elk taken (broken down by bulls, cows, calves).

As far as success stories, I drew a cow muzzleloading tag (statewide) last fall. We hunted some steep country and I seem to have more trouble these days getting in shape since I went over the 50 year hump! My partner and I had spotted a small heard of elk at timberline from a road the day before at dark, so the next afternoonwe went to opposite sides of the mountain and both headed toward the area they had been. Worked like a charm. He got within shooting distance of the bull, but couldn't see his brow tines or count points, so he didn't get a shot, but he ran them right by me and I was lucky enough to take down the lead cow when she stopped to see what I was. Man was that a lot of weight to pack off that mountain. Worth it though.

If you are planning on hunting in early September, then you must be going bowhunting. There is not a better time to be in the woods! You may see and hear lots of elk. You may not see one and not hear a sound. But it will be a great adventure! My advice would be to shoot the firstlegal elk that comes within range. It likely might be the only chanceyou get. Good huntin!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson
I have only hunted 62. It is alright, but Iknow that there are much better for trophy bulls. The nice thing about it is the OTC tags and there are a fair # of elk. Plus, my father has been hutning it for over 25 years, so we know the area very well.
Where abouts (roughly of course) do you hunt in 62? My family has a cabin in 62 (about 14 miles outside of Montrose), and I have been hunting up there for 22 years myself. We usually stay South of Highway 90 along Divide Road and either hunt 62, or 61 (if we draw a tag) and enjoy the hunting up there.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM
BKC

HELP

Hey dose anyone know anything about 25 and 26 we put in for deer and elk tags for 09 this is my first time in Colorado but was told it was good Elk hunting and Great Muley hunting???. You Colorado folk PLEASE tell meI did not get bad intel from my buddy???[>:]
Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Seeing as it is getting so close to elk season in Colorado thought I would bump this thread.
My fovorite unit in Colorado is also unit 62, my father has hunted it for 42 years, and us kids were practically raised up on the Uncompahgre Plateau. I know it better than my own backyard!

Heres a little something to get the blood pumping!

Thats just some of the better ones. Between my father, my brother, myself, my sister and the rest of the "motley crue" we have taken almost a hundred elk out of unit 62. Over sixty just between my dad, brother, and I (my brother and I have been hunting elk since 1984 & 1985).
Old 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Spike

Any of the units in the very north west corner of the state.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Spike

Unit 2----but you'll NEVER draw a tag for it. Maybe when your 100.