Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Clothing ? for first time elk hunter >

Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

Just wondering what all you veteran elk hunters would recommend for clothing/footwear fora first time elk hunter heading to the mountains of WY? I will be hunting at 8-9,000 ft elevation in mid October. Riding in on horseback each day and then hunting on foot. Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

Funny you should bring this up! I have literally been thru about everything from Columbia wool to all sorts of Goretex crap that makes you colder as it won't let the sweat out.

I have been seeing this ad for this 9 piece layer system on the back of my Fur, Fish, and Game magazines every month. I did some research and no one knew much about them. I was a bit skeptical, It seemed like a great deal for quality gear. I read thru the testamonials and everyone had great things to say about it. I ended up ordering a set for both my Dad and I. I was able to find it cheaper on clearance thru Sierra Trading Post. Then this place, but, they have the info on it. Plus, Since it was only up in Cheyenne. I figured I would give it a try, If it was CRAP! I could always return it.

http://www.outheresmartwear.com/sportsmanseries.html

Let me tell you... It was all I could have expected and more! Infact I am wearing the long johns around the house. They are every bit as good or better then "Under Armour" but have long cuffs with thumb holes to hold the sleeves down. The fleece pull overs are very comfortable. The jacket and pants are almost like a rain suit with mesh inside and PLENTY of pockets. I ordered mine in Green because its what they had. I will be soon ordering a camo set for hunting and retire my green set for work.
It is a complete system which means warm, cold, rain, or snow . It's covered. It will be PERFECT on a high country hunting trip like my January bull elk hunt. Plus, it will be handy for Dad when he is getting guys in and out of the mountains or around the ranch this winter.
Trust me when I tell you this. YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER SET UP FOR $600 much less the $200 it is going to cost you!

Here is the Sierra Trading post link...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,59443_Hycreek-9-Piece-Sportsman's-Suit-Waterproof-For-Men.html

It gets two mega "cold weather... come on... so I can use it" Thumbs up!

If you got any questions let me know I will try to answer them for you.

Now I gotta figure out a way to keep the wife from seeing it or she'll be wearing it!!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Spike

I would start off with a good quality pair of boots. I just broke in a pair of Danner Pronghorns, they sell for about $160-$170, they're less than 4 pounds, waterproof and comfortable right out of the box. Grab a few pairs of wool socks with some light weight liners underneath. You are going to be spending alot of time in your boots, if your feet are cold, wet or sore it doesn't matter what else you wearyou will be miserable. Throw a small role of cloth medical adhesive tape in your pack just in case you get a blister.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I like the Danner boots and say go with multi layer clothes and a good waterproof backpack to hold the stuff you aren't wearing. When walking go light and when you stop put on warm clothes. Good gortex is important to stop the rain, snow or cold wind. Get ready for temp extremes. It can be 70 at mid day and 25 or colder at dinner time.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

That set I desribed will do exactly what you are needing plus it's better then goretex. I would definitly look into it. I also use smartwool socks with the poly pro liners and schnee's pack boots. Anotehr thing Ido is,I strap my backpack to a pack frame on my way to where I am going to hunt. Then I stash the frame and carry the backpack. It makes for a more comfortable walk in and doesn't fatigue you like a 20 pound backpack by itself will. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

To each their own. I'm going to tell you my opinion based on hunting elk in SW Colorado in mid-October at about 11,000' elevation.

A good pair of leather boots that provide ankle support. Even if you are going in on horseback, chances are you will spend a fair amount of time on your feet, maybe even walk back from a kill site while leading your horse which is carrying the quarters of a dead elk? You will want your boots broken in . . . when are you going on this hunt? I like Meindle Perfekt Hunters. One nice thing about these is that they do not require extensive break-in, and you probably don't have much time for breaking in new boots at this point. I'm not saying these are the only boots that would work or even that they are the best possible boots. They will get the job done, however. Wear two pairs of socks -- a thin inner liner of a synthetic fabric, such as polypropylene, that wicks away moisture and a thick outer sock such as a wool sock.

As far as clothes, you will want to layer your clothes. I suggest an inner thin liner of synthetic fabric that wicks away moisture, such as polypropylene. This is basically the idea of the UnderAmour product. I'm assuming this product works as advertised, but I'm guessing there are other equally satisfactory products that do the same thing maybe for less money. I use 25 year old Helley-Hanson polypropylene long underwear bottoms and top and they still work for their intended purpose. Over this inner layer I would wear wool trousers and a wool shirt. In my case I use military surplus M-1951 green wool trousers with suspenders. You can also buy wool trousers from other sources as well, such as Filson. I suggset medium weight wool trousers, not heavy weight or MacKinaw weight trousers. In my case I use a Pendleton wool shirt, maybe about 9 oz per weight cloth, not too heavy. If you move around while hunting, this will keep you warm if it isn't real cold. Colder weather, maybe a heavier shirt would be useful. In my case I also use a Filson MacKinaw wool vest -- 26 oz wool. This is very warming for the core part of the body. Over the wool vest I wear a light colored camo hooded parka that has GoreTex or some other breathable, waterproof laminate and some sort of synthetic insulation. I carry a polypropylene balaclava that I can pull over my head, under the parka hood. When it is cold, I put all of this stuff on and it keeps me warm. I'm guessing this would do the job down to about 0 degrees, sitting still. Don't forget some warm gloves. My toes, however, would definitely get cold sitting still in those Meindle boots, their 400 grams of thinsulate notwithstanding. For temperatures below 0 degrees, you'll have to seek advice from others. My view is that if it is below 0 degrees outside, I'll probably just stay back in camp, thank you very much. Either that, or I would wear the same gear just keep moving around. It is amazing how much warmth you will generate by ordinary walking, particularly in the mountains up a hill.

I like the wool because it is quiet, it is comfortable across a wide range of temperature (I have worn the wool trousers over the polypropylene hunting deer in Oklahoma on a 65 degree afternoon), and it dries quickly. It is not uncommon to get your clothes wet while hunting, for example from blown wet snow during a snow storm.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I have a pair of well broken-in Meindl Taiga boots(close to 15 years old or more), I plan to use, they are only 200 gr Thinsulate but i think with a heavy wool sock should serve me quite well. I also have a pair of 600 gr. cabelas boots i also plan to take. As far as clothing I was looking at a pair of wool bibs(not real heavyweight type). I think if i wore these over polypro. and a lightweight pair of camo pants for the horseback ride in and possibly all day depending upon the weather. I could shed the bibs if it gets warm enough during midday and when we aredoing lots of walking. As far as upper garments I plan to wear polypr. top then chamois or flannel shirt followed by a fleece sweatshirt/vest and then I havea Dri-Stalkwind/waterproof jacket made by Mossy-Oak as the final layer. Does this sound like a system that will get me by? Thanks again for all the great info so far guys!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

dbblung: My only reservation with your suit would be the flannel shirt. To me "flannel" means cotton, and I don't viewcotton as a suitable fabric for vigorous outdoor mountain activities. If cotton gets wet for any reason -- rain, sweat, wet snow -- it is going to stay wet and suck away heat from you all day. One further advantage of wool that I failed to mention earlier is that it remains warm when wet. Buy yourself a cheap wool shirt off E-bay. I got a good Pendleton wool flannel shirt off E-bay that all in cost me about $26. Very serviceable. But this is just my opinion.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

If you are riding horses in, I would not wear my heavy kleated, rubbersouled,hunting boots on the ride in. I wear my converse looking flat souled bowhunting shoes orleather souled cowboy boots that are large enough towear enough socks to keep your feet warm. Even lowtop tenny runners will workif the weather at all permits it. Something that will get out of the stirrup easily or pull offin case of a blow up. No matter what you are wearing you should never jam your foot in the stirrup ride with only the ball of your foot and toes in the stirrup.

I have seen too many times crepe/hiking souled boots get stuck in a stirrup. Iwas on a pack trip a few years ago and the "broncy POS" that the outfitter gave this guy wanted to go back to the barn. Thebronc wentto bucking, threw him off with one foot hung in the stirrup the horse stepped on his back and pulled him free. The gentlmen's foot (thank god) came out of the stirrup. If it hadn't he would have been in a horrible wreck.
You can do the stirrup test before you get on, turn your foot sideways and see if it gets caught. If it does, and you get throwed off this is what is going to happen or worse if you aren't so lucky.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only reservation with your suit would be the flannel shirt. To me "flannel" means cotton, and I don't viewcotton as a suitable fabric for vigorous outdoor mountain activities.
Amen. Same goes for that chamois shift he mentioned. Don't take a stitch of cotton with you...underwear...t-shirts...nothing. Make everything synthetic or wool. You'll be much happier regardless of the weather.

Quick Reply: Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.