HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Clothing ? for first time elk hunter
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 AM
ElkNutz
Typical Buck

Default RE: Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

If you are riding horses in, I would not wear my heavy kleated, rubbersouled,hunting boots on the ride in. I wear my converse looking flat souled bowhunting shoes orleather souled cowboy boots that are large enough towear enough socks to keep your feet warm. Even lowtop tenny runners will workif the weather at all permits it. Something that will get out of the stirrup easily or pull offin case of a blow up. No matter what you are wearing you should never jam your foot in the stirrup ride with only the ball of your foot and toes in the stirrup.

I have seen too many times crepe/hiking souled boots get stuck in a stirrup. Iwas on a pack trip a few years ago and the "broncy POS" that the outfitter gave this guy wanted to go back to the barn. Thebronc wentto bucking, threw him off with one foot hung in the stirrup the horse stepped on his back and pulled him free. The gentlmen's foot (thank god) came out of the stirrup. If it hadn't he would have been in a horrible wreck.
You can do the stirrup test before you get on, turn your foot sideways and see if it gets caught. If it does, and you get throwed off this is what is going to happen or worse if you aren't so lucky.