HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Clothing ? for first time elk hunter
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Clothing ? for first time elk hunter

To each their own. I'm going to tell you my opinion based on hunting elk in SW Colorado in mid-October at about 11,000' elevation.

A good pair of leather boots that provide ankle support. Even if you are going in on horseback, chances are you will spend a fair amount of time on your feet, maybe even walk back from a kill site while leading your horse which is carrying the quarters of a dead elk? You will want your boots broken in . . . when are you going on this hunt? I like Meindle Perfekt Hunters. One nice thing about these is that they do not require extensive break-in, and you probably don't have much time for breaking in new boots at this point. I'm not saying these are the only boots that would work or even that they are the best possible boots. They will get the job done, however. Wear two pairs of socks -- a thin inner liner of a synthetic fabric, such as polypropylene, that wicks away moisture and a thick outer sock such as a wool sock.

As far as clothes, you will want to layer your clothes. I suggest an inner thin liner of synthetic fabric that wicks away moisture, such as polypropylene. This is basically the idea of the UnderAmour product. I'm assuming this product works as advertised, but I'm guessing there are other equally satisfactory products that do the same thing maybe for less money. I use 25 year old Helley-Hanson polypropylene long underwear bottoms and top and they still work for their intended purpose. Over this inner layer I would wear wool trousers and a wool shirt. In my case I use military surplus M-1951 green wool trousers with suspenders. You can also buy wool trousers from other sources as well, such as Filson. I suggset medium weight wool trousers, not heavy weight or MacKinaw weight trousers. In my case I use a Pendleton wool shirt, maybe about 9 oz per weight cloth, not too heavy. If you move around while hunting, this will keep you warm if it isn't real cold. Colder weather, maybe a heavier shirt would be useful. In my case I also use a Filson MacKinaw wool vest -- 26 oz wool. This is very warming for the core part of the body. Over the wool vest I wear a light colored camo hooded parka that has GoreTex or some other breathable, waterproof laminate and some sort of synthetic insulation. I carry a polypropylene balaclava that I can pull over my head, under the parka hood. When it is cold, I put all of this stuff on and it keeps me warm. I'm guessing this would do the job down to about 0 degrees, sitting still. Don't forget some warm gloves. My toes, however, would definitely get cold sitting still in those Meindle boots, their 400 grams of thinsulate notwithstanding. For temperatures below 0 degrees, you'll have to seek advice from others. My view is that if it is below 0 degrees outside, I'll probably just stay back in camp, thank you very much. Either that, or I would wear the same gear just keep moving around. It is amazing how much warmth you will generate by ordinary walking, particularly in the mountains up a hill.

I like the wool because it is quiet, it is comfortable across a wide range of temperature (I have worn the wool trousers over the polypropylene hunting deer in Oklahoma on a 65 degree afternoon), and it dries quickly. It is not uncommon to get your clothes wet while hunting, for example from blown wet snow during a snow storm.