Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info? >

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

I am planning a guided moose hunt to Alaska Unit 20D Sept. 5th-15th. I am looking for information from anyone familiar with this area. Moose numbers, trophy quality, Grizzly,and Wolf populations, as well as any other info anyone would like to share. This will be my first trip to Alaska, and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Good luck! Get a 70"! Rifle/bow?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

This will be a rifle hunt. 70" would be terrific, but I'll be thrilled with any mature bull.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since it's guided I'm sure you'll ask your guide all of that, sorry I don't have any personal experience to talk about, I would like to make my way to alaska fairly soon, I'm thinking maybe a sitka blacktail hunt on kodiak, a friend talked about a DIY hunt, I think this father lives there though, a moose floatrip down a river, though I think its for father/son, no friends, punk! They're talking bow as well. I know alot of those hunts you can combo a griz/caribou etc...if you see one, so def find out about additional trophy fees on those, also I believe in alaska your tag is valid for any animal of equal or lesser value.....so you're moose tag would be good for a caribou, etc....etc...whatever tags cost less, have fun.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Hi!... I'm new here...glad to see these forums...and welcome to Alaska this coming season!!...We are going to be sheep hunting in that same area, in the Delta Controlled Use Area...(I won a permit this year!!)
20D is a huge area....are you asking for info on it, to make a guide selection....or do you have a guide already picked out??Almost all the areas have subunits, that then have varying characteristics/ statistics by drainage.
The broad answer to your question is YES, YES, and YES!!!!Everything up here is about BIG, and LOTS OF IT.
We feel fortunate to live on the top of the world!!... I will be getting back to you soon... I can gather some real insightful, useful material for you...and yes;you can combine hunts. The best one would be a combo moose/ grizzly hunt....a Toklat grizzly, a smaller but beautiful blond type, is unique to that area. Knowing what you want for your dream hunt, then researching/choosing your guide from that decision,then CONSTANT VISUALIZATION of that moose you want-(and, start/keep hiking!!!!)..will bring your hunt to reality.
Oh: you WILL need comfortable, insulated, broken-in hip waders with good tread that you can hike in (we also use ours,NOW, for checking traps)...another pair of good hunting boots(we wear nothing but Danners with 600 gram ins., and airbob soles)....bugdope:Take vit B, and lots of garlic...in addition to the Deet the outfitter will provide for you....and multiple ziplock bags to put changes of socks, camera, everything in.And a pack you are comfortable with with an OUTER frame.
I highly recomend purchasing, breaking in,and flying your own hip waders (and pack) up with you, regardless what the outfitter says.These are normal items to be flown in, even to aguided remote camp.Are you flying your riflewith you ? What caliber(s) do you own???Footwear,and staying dry, I think are the most crucial, up here. Also: layers......it can be hot during the day, freezing temps at night....but you have probably figured all this, or read/known it already....I'm just excited for you, and eager to be of any more help......any tidbits of vital info, or people we can hook you up with...it would be our pleasure. We are not guides, never have been on a guided hunt....we have always hunted do-it-yourself...for sheep,moose, black bear, and Kodiak Brown bear.....but we are familiar with a lot of guides, and their outfits and families, and we have hunted up in 20D before. We used to live in 20B.
Now....sometime soon, I'll be back here with more info for you,or you could feel free to e-mail me; and we have some interesting Kodiak deer / halibut fishing info...for anyone who is curious...have a good day!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Hi...I'm trying to figure out how to scan and get the picture of this 68" moose our friends from hereharvested up there last season...it was taken in the mosquito flats area... a little NE of where you will be. (in 20E). Bear with me, I am fairly new to computors . I noticed from one of your previous posts, you own/appreciate the sako??... I love my Browning .338...but my guy thoroughly enjoys his Sako .338. It is a sweet gun. You seem like youare knowledgable on calibers/ballistics...you and he (I call him Bearhunter)....would have a lot to talk about....if I could ever convince him to get on a computor. He will be gathering a lot of info for you, I will pass it on.... We and our 5 children are members of the AGCA(Alaska Gun Collectors Association), and have started with display tables at the shows. My guy has been an avid gun collector for 30 years; years ago, with the Colorado gun collectors, and going to some of the Las Vegas shows. He ahsactivley bow hunted in Colorado and Montana;and we both have shot black powder for years.(before we even met). I'll try to get this picture(s)/ more info up on here for you...I have to finish dinner, and get the kids to bed.
Hey...we caught a wolverine the other day in the 330!....Take care.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

aksheephuntress - I appreciate your info and your enthusiasm. I have only been on one guided hunt myself. I hunted Wyoming with a guide about fifteen years ago. We hunted public land and I quickly figured out that the only things he had that I didn't were gear and local knowledge. So I bought the gear I needed and I have been hunting DIY out west on my own ever since. There is more than a litlle differnce in the requirements though when you start talking moose and Alaska. The distance factor alone makes ittotally impractical to haul all of the gear I normally take out west all the way to AK,throw in dealing with the meat and pack in/out requirements, the vastness of the territory, etc.,and a guide isalmosta requirement for me.

Ihave a guide setup already.I was refered to him by a friend that will be tagging along on the trip. My friend has hunted with him numerous times over the last twenty years and has taken 2 big bears, sheep, and caribou with him.

The area we will be hunting is near/along the Johnson River in 20D. The guide has told me we should see several legal bulls during the ten day season, and that there is a good chance of seeing grizzly. Healso told me that they do not normally see black bears, and only rarely see wolves. He said we would probably hear wolves and evensee their tracks, but it was notlikely to see them.

I do most of my western hunting with a 7mm Remington Magnum. I also own a .300 Win Mag and a .300 Wby Mag. I do not currently own a .338 WinMag, but I am strongly considering acquiring one before my AK trip. I am also considering getting rid of the .300s and purchasing a .300 Remington Ultra Mag to replace them.

I am really looking forward to my first Alaska adventure and appreciate your information/help. I hope to make it back up in 2010 to hunt Sitka Blacktails on Kodiak.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Hi!....thank you for responding back...I was beginning to think I had offended you a little when I realized that the main content of my info for you wasleaning toward hunting 101(didn't intend on that)....I was waiting to find out if you had a guide already, since a lot of the possibility of combining species/where you were going to be in 20Din a hunt would depend upon the outfitter. You are definitely a hardy hunter if you do-it -yourself out west for elk, antelope,mulies,etc.....you really could do it yourself up here for moose....but it sounds awesome that you have a connection up here already set up. We hunted sheep in the Tok Management area 2 years ago...my guy harvested a beautiful ram in there.We were dropped off at the head of the Johnson Glacier, and hiked up from there. We camped up on the glacier, climbed up to the rams.
This year, we are investing in a raft and having it flown into July Creek; we are hiking in to it, and floating the Gerstle , and hunting up in there so I can harvest my sheep( I drewan early season tag...DS203)....my first draw-win ever!!!!....
I know it probably sounded corny to you...but it does work to put that picture of that Alaskan moose you want up on your wall and look at it everyday....(if you don't do that, already)....and I recently found out that manyawesome 60" moose have come out of that area. Although you might not see a wolf ( it does happen!!), you have a possibility of seeing a wolverine. In broad daylight, regardless what someone in Alaska might tell you.
This is your Alaskan dream hunt. Don't let anyone deflate any child-like, openminded excitement you have when you come up. I have been up here since 1994, since I first came up to commercial fish.....and I still get feel in awe of being blessed in living here, each and every day.
....I would still flyyour hip waders upwhen you come for your trip, if I were you...
I will post pictures, soon....Take care!!!
ps... when I was little, my family lived in Bay Villiage, OH (Lake Erie) for one winter-1977....there was a terrible blizzard!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

aksheephuntress - Sorry it took me so long to reply initially. My work schedule has been kind of goofy as of late - lots of 12hr+ days - which hasn't allowed much time for cruising the internet. I really do appreciate all of the info and advice.

I am sure there are some things that are considered Hunting 101 in AK that we would never think of in the lower 48. For instance I've never hunted in hip waders, the only pair of waders I own are stockingfoot chest waders to wear while fly fishing. I do have a Cabela's Alaskan pack and frame thatI use for packing meat and to hunt out of when I am hunting mulies or elk.

The only moose I have ever seen in the wild are Shiras Moose in Wyoming. There are a few of them in the area I hunt and I have managed tocall in or stalk in on a couple. They are considerably smaller that the Alaskan variety.

I also did not know the information about a higher priced tag being good for an animal whose tag cost is lower. If I were to shoot a big bear would I then have to go back out and buy another moose tag before I could take a moose?

Congrats on your sheeptag! Sheep hunting has got to be a great adventure. I hope tochase them myself someday. I've been applying for a Bighorn tag in WY for 8 yrs., hopefully I'lldraw before I'm too old to climb the mountains.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I've only been in OH for a few years myself. I came here for my job in the fall of '05. I can't say I like it all that much and the family hates it. It's one redeeming quality is that there are some monster whitetails here!

Again, thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

You're definitely headed to a good area. One of the few areas in Alaska where the moose population is still healthy. Just FYI, the moose population in general statewide is hurting. On any gear questions or concerns I would strongly suggest talking to the gentleman you booked the hunt with. He should be able to provide you with a list of everything you need to take with you. Not to discount what the huntress is saying, but having been in the guiding business up here for nearly twenty years, my advise is to trust your guide. From now until the hunt is over. That's why you're paying him. If you don't mind me asking, who are you hunting with? The best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.