HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
aksheephuntress

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Hi!... I'm new here...glad to see these forums...and welcome to Alaska this coming season!!...We are going to be sheep hunting in that same area, in the Delta Controlled Use Area...(I won a permit this year!!)
20D is a huge area....are you asking for info on it, to make a guide selection....or do you have a guide already picked out??Almost all the areas have subunits, that then have varying characteristics/ statistics by drainage.
The broad answer to your question is YES, YES, and YES!!!!Everything up here is about BIG, and LOTS OF IT.
We feel fortunate to live on the top of the world!!... I will be getting back to you soon... I can gather some real insightful, useful material for you...and yes;you can combine hunts. The best one would be a combo moose/ grizzly hunt....a Toklat grizzly, a smaller but beautiful blond type, is unique to that area. Knowing what you want for your dream hunt, then researching/choosing your guide from that decision,then CONSTANT VISUALIZATION of that moose you want-(and, start/keep hiking!!!!)..will bring your hunt to reality.
Oh: you WILL need comfortable, insulated, broken-in hip waders with good tread that you can hike in (we also use ours,NOW, for checking traps)...another pair of good hunting boots(we wear nothing but Danners with 600 gram ins., and airbob soles)....bugdope:Take vit B, and lots of garlic...in addition to the Deet the outfitter will provide for you....and multiple ziplock bags to put changes of socks, camera, everything in.And a pack you are comfortable with with an OUTER frame.
I highly recomend purchasing, breaking in,and flying your own hip waders (and pack) up with you, regardless what the outfitter says.These are normal items to be flown in, even to aguided remote camp.Are you flying your riflewith you ? What caliber(s) do you own???Footwear,and staying dry, I think are the most crucial, up here. Also: layers......it can be hot during the day, freezing temps at night....but you have probably figured all this, or read/known it already....I'm just excited for you, and eager to be of any more help......any tidbits of vital info, or people we can hook you up with...it would be our pleasure. We are not guides, never have been on a guided hunt....we have always hunted do-it-yourself...for sheep,moose, black bear, and Kodiak Brown bear.....but we are familiar with a lot of guides, and their outfits and families, and we have hunted up in 20D before. We used to live in 20B.
Now....sometime soon, I'll be back here with more info for you,or you could feel free to e-mail me; and we have some interesting Kodiak deer / halibut fishing info...for anyone who is curious...have a good day!!!