HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
RuRu12
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

aksheephuntress - Sorry it took me so long to reply initially. My work schedule has been kind of goofy as of late - lots of 12hr+ days - which hasn't allowed much time for cruising the internet. I really do appreciate all of the info and advice.

I am sure there are some things that are considered Hunting 101 in AK that we would never think of in the lower 48. For instance I've never hunted in hip waders, the only pair of waders I own are stockingfoot chest waders to wear while fly fishing. I do have a Cabela's Alaskan pack and frame thatI use for packing meat and to hunt out of when I am hunting mulies or elk.

The only moose I have ever seen in the wild are Shiras Moose in Wyoming. There are a few of them in the area I hunt and I have managed tocall in or stalk in on a couple. They are considerably smaller that the Alaskan variety.

I also did not know the information about a higher priced tag being good for an animal whose tag cost is lower. If I were to shoot a big bear would I then have to go back out and buy another moose tag before I could take a moose?

Congrats on your sheeptag! Sheep hunting has got to be a great adventure. I hope tochase them myself someday. I've been applying for a Bighorn tag in WY for 8 yrs., hopefully I'lldraw before I'm too old to climb the mountains.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I've only been in OH for a few years myself. I came here for my job in the fall of '05. I can't say I like it all that much and the family hates it. It's one redeeming quality is that there are some monster whitetails here!

Again, thanks for the info.