Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info? >

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

....Hi, I can understand about a work schedule like that....I recently became a stay-at-home mom for our 5 kids after working 60 hrs a week for the past few years.Nuts!! My guy is still putting in 60-hr work weeks,himself....so we understand . I have just recently discovered this site , and am fairly new to computors...I will add more later, but I wanted to let you know that you canpurchase a griz tag($500 non res) and it would still be good in the fieldfor moose(value of that, $400 n.r.) I forgot that n.r. hunting in Alaska are req. to have a guide for griz....so the fact that you are going guided for moose is a wise choice. Question: did you win a permit for 20D, or is that where the person guiding hunts?? ...the areas delineated legal for non-res vary within 20D.(spec around the Johnson R).
Old 02-11-2008, 03:10 PM

I hunted in unit 20 ,I think B in 03 and 05 .The 03 hunt my buddy killed a 58"er and my other buddy got a great carbou. The 05 hunt I shot a 57 1/2 "er and a black bear. You are going to love the place .The first hunt I spotted 15 grizz in 14 days mostly out of my spotting scope.We did it DIY ,hired a air taxi out of dillingham.I would buy a grizz tag and a moose tag so you could shoot any thing you like ,black or grizzbear ,moose ,bou ,wolverine,wolf. do not scrimp on waders or rain gear .We came up with a saying ,if you don't like the weather wait an hour it will change. I wish you luck on having surf and turf every night for dinner.We did.

[/align]
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

aksheephuntress - I am not sure as to the exact area along the Johnson R. I have only talked briefly with the guide and it was my conclusion from looking at the unit maps that the area was 20D. I guess it could also be 20E depending on which side of the river he is talking about.

FarNorth - I will be hunting with Joe Want from Fairbanks.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM

photo

[/align]

Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

dayna0306 - Great moose! How big was he? What cartridge/rifle did you use?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks He went near 58" and shot at 440 yards with a 300 win. mag. hunted near the red hills.He was fighting with a 45" bull while an older bull watchfrom hisbed, the older one curvered in tight about 50" all had forked brows.The pack was 2 miles up a river from bace camp on a lake called nuykaka or somethink like that. RuRu12 hows your deer hunting in landcaster ,didn't hunt ohio the last 2 years .Been driving passed to hunt illinios. Never hunted with a guide but I wish I could of had one to shoot the grizz that stole 1 hind quarter,2 hams and 2 racks of ribs.while buchering the bull a black bear came running in and started eating the fat I was tossing to the side ,lucky I had a caribou tag in my pocket to take care of him. Then 2 days later the grizz took overthe kill sight and stole the meat .My buddy stood gaurd while I caped the bull and got out of there. Never ever step away from your rifle up there.

[/align]
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

dayna0306 - I don't hunt around Lancaster. Not because I wouldn't like to, but it is next to impossible to find someone that will give you permission to hunt. It seems that most have friends & family that hunt, have their places leased, or "wouldn't think of letting someone kill their deer". I have hunted south of here in Vinton Co. and north of here in Coshocton Co.. I have seen great bucks in both areas, but have yet to take one. I do most of my whitetail hunting on my farm back home in WV.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Sheephuntress,
I saw your nice note on the hunters forum when i googled unit 20D. I was looking into a hunt with 40-mile air service. They have a lake hunt usind a cessna 185 and drop you in either unit 12 or 20D. I did a DIY hunt on the Innoko River in 98 and got a 61" moose. It was a tough trip and would rather hunt from a compfortable stationary camp. I was wondering if there is a place where we could camp and hunt both moose and caribou at the same time and have fresh water and firewood. What do you think?
Steve
Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

good luck
i wish i was you
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 AM

Got reading your post, I am also going for moose this year but on the peninsula. I read you were thinking about getting a 300rum, I have it and I am taking moose hunting but you might want to consider a different cal. Finding ammo for the 300 rum is hard. I had to buy reloading dies and evrtything else needed, I almost did not find the brass, only rem, and nosler make the brass for that cal. And every reloading store is out of stock with no back order avilable. Federal,Rem. all of there 300 Rum, big game rounds are on hold, Federal is 3 months away before there ammo is out in stores. So just know what your in for!! Good luck in your pick.

Quick Reply: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.