Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info? >

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

EcoastHunter - That is interesting info about the .300 RUM. I am already a reloader, so that wouldn't be a big deal for me to setup for another cartridge. I don't really need another rifle, but I was kinda looking for an excuse to buy on of the Ultra Mag's. I already have a .300 WinMag, .300 Wby Mag, and a couple of .7mm Rem Mags, any of which would be fine for moose and adequate for inland grizzly. I think I will buy a new gun though, but not a .300 RUM. I'm seriously considering a Wby Vanguard Stainless Synthetic in .338 Win Mag.

I still want a .300 RUM, but I think I'll wait to see how the ammo situation settles out.

Good Luck on your your AK hunt!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Bump - any new info?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM

Your guide basically summed up the area:

"The area we will be hunting is near/along the Johnson River in 20D. The guide has told me we should see several legal bulls during the ten day season, and that there is a good chance of seeing grizzly. Healso told me that they do not normally see black bears, and only rarely see wolves. He said we would probably hear wolves and evensee their tracks, but it was notlikely to see them."

There are lots of grizz in the area as well as wolf. Wolves are hard to spot due to the terrain but they are there and in good numbers too. Years back I watched a pack go after a cow moose on the Johnson as it enters the Tanana.I mainly hunt & trap 12 & 20E as I live in the area. Yeah you should see moose and you'll be there as the rut starts getting in to full swing. I called in two bulls & a griz last year (about the 15th) just sitting on the deck of my cabin which sits in theTMA. I was just playing around enjoying the evening. Yes there are critters there. Trust your guide.

Good luck on your adventure
Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info John/Alaska. What is the terrain like?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 AM

It varies greatly within that unit.The terrain can bedense black spruce on rolling hills to sparse vegetation in the more open flat & usually wet areas. There are lots of ponds and swamp like locations that are surrounded by the black spruce. But if you go high then it can be dry and somewhat open. That is about as close as I can get with out knowing exactly where you'll be. Enjoy.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

What type of footwear would you recommend? Are leather boots OK? or are knee high rubber boots or hip waders a necessity?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 AM

I am flying in to unit 20d, actually on the border of 20d and 20e in 1st week of june to help a friend on a grizzly hunt. I can let you know about the moose/bou we see. I am hoping to pick up a few moose or caribou sheds to bring something home formyself since i cant bear hunt, can one of you guys who hunted 20d tell me if you saw sheds? Im interested in theguy that was at mosquito flats.

thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 AM

Rimrock,

You can hunt black bear as a non-resident without a guide. Get a tag and hunt as well.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rimrock

I am flying in to unit 20d, actually on the border of 20d and 20e in 1st week of june to help a friend on a grizzly hunt. I can let you know about the moose/bou we see. I am hoping to pick up a few moose or caribou sheds to bring something home formyself since i cant bear hunt, can one of you guys who hunted 20d tell me if you saw sheds? Im interested in the guy that was at mosquito flats.

thanks.
From the looks of it you should be in the general area where the Nelchina herd winters, so you might find some 'bou sheds. I wouldn't hold your breath about finding any moose sheds. You may, but they're few and far between. That and there's no shortage of gnawing rodents up here that love to chew them up. If you do find 'bou sheds don't be surprised if you find a bunch. Whenever I've found them there always seems to be quite a few in the general area.

Do like bearhuntr said and get a black bear tag so you can do some hunting on the trip.

AK Jeff

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked at the regs quickly and for residents it said no black bear tag required im that area. Ill have to look closer for nonresident rules. Have you ever been in the vicinity of harper mountain? thats the closest name to where we are going. I would be bummed not to find a moose antler.

Quick Reply: Alaska Moose Unit 20D any info?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.