Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New Rifle project, need input! >

New Rifle project, need input!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Rifle project, need input!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Rifle project, need input!

Nope Shato the STW out dose the 7mm Remmy.The 7mm Ultra out dose the STW(not by much if you handload).

If I was building me a custom.Here is what it would be.
Sako action in .300 Ultra or the warbird(Warbird is the king of the Super .30's)
26 in barrel fluted(Hart or Douglas)
McMillian Thumbhole
Timmy trigger
Lupey rings and bases
3.5-10 x 40mm Zeiss conquest
That should make a fine gun.Also You might wanna talk to Kirby Allen of Gunslinger gunsmithing in Vaughn Montana.Talk about to him about his Allen Magnums,I can get you his number if ya want.
BBJ

Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 AM

RUM is my acronym for Remington Ultra Mag. Sorry for the confusion.

Sako is a excellent action. I generally use Remingtons simply for the reason that I have the tooling to do the work myself. Remington 700 action trued and blueprinted with a sako extractor makes for a very accurate and reliable platform.

The 7mm's just aren't tripping my trigger so to speak. I'm thinking 300 or 338 ultra. I'm leaning more towards the 30 cal. Lord knows I don't "need" another rifle, but I have a serious case of the "wants", if you know what I mean.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 AM

Ok,

Just to throw another wrench in the gears, how about a 25-06? I've always wanted a 25-06. Though I doubt that I would take it Mountain goat hunting.... Can anyone tell that I've got cabin fever? I can't wait until spring. Lets weight the pros and cons of the 25-06 versus the 300 ultra shall we?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Ok,

Just to throw another wrench in the gears, how about a 25-06? I've always wanted a 25-06. Though I doubt that I would take it Mountain goat hunting.... Can anyone tell that I've got cabin fever? I can't wait until spring. Lets weight the pros and cons of the 25-06 versus the 300 ultra shall we?
That's what I was going to suggest after reading your initial post! But I knew it wasn't remotely close to the calibers you were mentioning, so I didn't bother. I was having a hard timepicturing RUM's in an ultra lightweight rifle - ouch!

Your 6.5 x 284 sounds like a greatcartridge for that kind of hunt. What's the rifleitself like: stock, barrel length, weight, scope, etc.? Maybe youcould use the .25-06 as a platform to try out a whole'nother set of tricks for the new rifle.

The .375 RUM sounds like a neat cartridge around which to builda safari rifle. Hey, is there anything stopping you from building two new rifles????
Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ActuallyI was going to suggesta .257 calbut you seemed pretty set onscratching an itch, so didn't.

Can't really compare to the 300 RUM as it is better suited for larger game. However for sheep, deer, antelope and varmits I really don't think you can go wrong with a 1/4 bore. Recoil is nothing, easy to load for and very effecient cartridges (anything the 270 can do IMHO). While I have been witness to the standard 2506 taking bull moose, bull elk and black bears I think their are better choices, choices for which you are well stocked already. I regret that the day I sold my rh 2506 I didn't replace it immediately with a LH version. I am looking for a donor Lh action to build a 2506AI, as i like the idea of sending a 110-115gr quality bullet down stream in the 3400fps area. If interested in such I suggest you PM Roskoe, he has a 2506AI and am sure he'd be willing to share his finding on its potential and prowess.

G/L
Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Hey, is there anything stopping you from building two new rifles????
Just money my friend, just money.[8D]

Your 6.5 x 284 sounds like a greatcartridge for that kind of hunt. What's the rifleitself like: stock, barrel length, weight, scope, etc.?
Oh its a sweet piece.Stainless Rem 700 Long action, timney trigger, 26" Douglas Premium Air Gauged barrel, Curly maple Stock (pillared & Glassed) w/ ebony forearm and pistol grip caps. I really love it, but I'm ready for another project.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a aweful nice looking rifle Shato.

Well then I had mentioned this round before x-mass to ya.How about a 25-284 or 25 WSM (not a wssm)????
You already have the 284 dies,wouldn't take much to neck down some 284 brass to the 1/4 bore.This would make a nice sheep/goat/deer rifle.
As always I would say you can't go wrong witha 25-06 Rem,but it can't compare to the .300 RUM when we are talking BIG game and long shots.
BBJ
Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Wow! What an amazing thread! Everybody really does have their favorites out there! I own several rifles! My favorite is still my very first rifle in 270. I now own:

270 win
7mm Weatherby
300 Win Mag
25WSM
.45 cal knight muzzleloader

The 25 WSM has only been fired once because the dope that bore sighted my scope put the thing on incorrectly! I am going to rework the .25wsm and get the scope fixed and turn this into my hunting gun for the year on all 2 deer and an antelope hunt this year. I cant wait for my September hunt for Antelope this year!

Either way I am thinking about taking the Thompson Long Range Shooting Course sometime this summer!

Has anyone taken a course like this?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:27 PM

In responds to your fist post I would build a 375 whether it is a H&H or RUM is up to you. For a mountain rifle cal. on a 700 action with more power I would build a 264 Win Mag. Own one in a sendero and man is it awsome... If you are looking for a rifle builder I would strongly suggess you talk to John Porter. He not only can build you a rifle that will shoot like a house on fire. He can also tailer make you compensation knobs for your pet load so that you can shootwell over 500 yrds without holdover. With a resume like his I know that he is to the point and not a bucket of BS. For more info you might wont to get a copy of BIG GAME ADVENTURES fall/winter 2005 to find out more about John...KEEP SHOOTING & HUNTING HARD!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM

NICE RIFLE!!! I own a 25/06 tikka and wouldn't trade it for anything. As for 1/4 bores, if I was to buld one it would be the 257 Weatherby mag that is one bad news round for sheep, goats, etc...Fast and flat is where it's at when it comes to hunting sheep, goats ,etc...