Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Project Rifle >

Project Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Project Rifle

Old 12-19-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Project Rifle

I'm looking to buy a .270WSM and put a light weight stock on it. Also, considering having it "accurized". This would be my rig for mule deer & antelope. My budget, without scope, is under $1,000. Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Project Rifle

Buy a super shadow at Walmart for under 400 bucks. Get the trigger done, order bottom metal from Winchester 50 bucks. YOur at 500 bucks . Then order a stock from Bansner and they make a lightweight one for that caliber and have it glass bedded and add a decelerator pad. You should be right at 1000 with everything.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:45 PM

Any estimate of how much it would weigh when complete (Ball park)?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have to add some for the trigger guard and floorplate ..probably 5-6 ounces and the stock should weigh about 10 ounces less then what you have..I can't imagine more then 6 1/2 -6 3/4lbs max...add a good lightweight scope and your talking 7 1/2 lbs which is about right you don't want it any lighter then that with a 270wsm. As far as accurizing are you talking the usual "lapping lugs """ yada yada yada ? Only accurizing I know is to twist off your barrel lap the lugs square off the front of the reciever and true up the bolt face...at that point you might as well throw away the 10 dollar barrel winchester puts on it and put on a custom..now your talking 500-600. Another alternative is a Weatherby vanguard in 270 wsm ..short action ..the action is 100 x better then the CRPF Winchester uses better extractor better gas handling..trigger won't be as easy to adjust but the price is the same. Comes with real bottom metal and you can put it in a high tech stock. Your local dealer will have them as will Walmart and look at the test target that comes with the gun to get an idea of its accuracy "POTENTIAL ONLY". In a high tech stock it should finish out the same as the Winchester but I am betting the action is square and the barrel is better. Let me know how it turns out. I have had a Super Shadow and now Own a Howa/WEatherby in a short mag. I originally assumed you wanted a Winchester rifle and pointed you in that direction.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:01 PM

don't forget the Tikka's, for the money they are one of the smoothest bolt throws that i have felt on a rifle of that price range.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to burst your bubble or anything but if your budget is only $1,000 you may as well forget about it. Unless you find a really good deal on a used rifle, but even then you will likley go over your thousand dollar limit.

Rifle - $400
New barrel (optional) - $200 on up
Stock - $350 for a HS Precision
Fitting rifle to stock and Bedding - $250 or more depending on what you want done.
Lapping lugs - $60
Trueing up the torque shoulder of the receiver - $50
Removing barrel , trueing up the breech face, resetting headspace, repolishing and reblueing rifle- $300
Trigger job - $75
Target crown - $60
Old 12-21-2004, 07:05 PM

Buy the rifle. Order a Simms pad and screw it on. Have a local smith bed it and re crown it. Shouldn't be over 100 bucks to do a decent job there. For what most folks will use it for you should be done. It should easily shoot MOA with that bit of work. If it still isn't perfect then do a firelap on the factory barrel and it might come around to what you need.
PS have seen HS stocks for 265 at most gun shows. But bedding and floating what you have will work.

If you go further than that you'll be looking at a tackdriving rifle but will be adding another 1500 possibly. A good barrel will be 240-350 very minimum. And trueing the action, a new lug, blueprinting etc.... probably 700 bucks of labor there average. Add a stock from 265 to 400 or 500 and get the best pillar bed job another 100-200 etc... new trigger up to 200 or more. It can add up quick.

Most folks dont' shoot enough to have any business past 300 yards and for 300 and under you just don't need that extra expense. Heck most dont' consider the wind very often and at 300 a norther type wind can flat go from good to guts or worse in a hurry. Thats if you can hold still enough and correctly enough in the field to hit in the first place.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 12-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Have you looked at the Savage synthetic model with the AccuTrigger? The rifle comes pillar bedded and you can adjust the trigger yourself. Out of the box the rifle will more than likely drive tacks. My next door neighbor bought one in 300 WSM. His rifle will shoot under an inch out of the box with Federal Premium ammo. You could also look to the Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard that come with accuracy guarantees. I've been reloading since I was 12 and have only owned a couple of rifles that would not shoot well with reloads I worked up for them. I've never had an action blue printed my usual work consists of adjusting the trigger and bedding the action. If for some reason the rifle doesn't shoot well sale it and buy another. From what I hear you will get the accuracy you want from the Savage. Use the $600 you have left from your $1000 and put all that money into a scope and quality mounts. You will have a rifle that will last a lifetime. I do agree with others that the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard action is one of the best on the market. I once lived in a small town and the local gunsmith built custom rifles all with Howa actions and he provided an accuracy guarantee with all of his rifles. I got to know him and he bought the action but a Douglas barrel on it and put it in a Bell & Carlson stock. He adjusted the triggers and bedded the action. He said in about 6 years of doing so he only had one rifle returned because it wasn't accurate. He claimed the barrel was bad, replaced the barrel and the guy was satisfied.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:11 PM

tikka's have been reportedly blowing up. I hope you think carefully before you purcahse one. Nothing on the sako or beretta websites pertaining to this.

In regards to my prior post.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Smokem, you may well be correct. I have not heard about this on match shooting sights. And thought we would have if they are blowing. Match shooters are hard on their guns and there are a bunch of Tikas out there shooting right now. We tend to try to milk every last bit out of the cartridge for 600 -1000 yards and I'd think that I'd have seen it because of that. I'll go check.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Project Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.